Over trousers to wear on folding bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The easiest and quickest way for me to get to work - is by car then by folding bike. The only problem is the chain oil gets on my trousers - my bike is a tern link with 20 inch wheels.

I would like some over trousers that go over my work trousers - I want something that looks reasonably stylish but doesn't cost the earth - my cycling time is under 10 minutes each way.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Have you considered elasticated walking gaiters over your lower legs?
None off the faff of overtrousers and you could roll them up and tuck them in a small bag when not needed.

1579804772287.png

Mark pallister

Give the chain and cassette a good clean then wax it
If it’s done properly it will never get dirty again

Mark pallister

It’s a faf to do it properly
Chain has to be spotless so wax will stick
Soak chain in petrol overnight
Then in degreaser for a couple of hours
Then ultrasonic bath till waters clean
Then swish in alcohol and leave to dry
Melt candle wax in rice cooker with some petroleum oil and Chuck chain in for 20 mins then hang to dry
Make sure cassette and chain rings are spotless
Then when you fit the chain nothing will stick to it
Lasts about 200 mls or so
Then just put the chain in boiling water let it dry and rewax
You can just use squirt wax chain lube instead it chain has to be clean as a whistle

12boy

Guru
Mark is correct, pure wax will flake off and. heavy grease, oil or beeswax will make It more flexible. I've used a 1lb brick of canning wax with a beeswax toilet bowl seal. They are really sticky. I did buy a new one for this purpose and it cost less than $5. I have a dedicated crock pot and I only wipe the crud off the chain and toss it in. Any grit is heavier than the wax and will sink down to the bottom. I know it's lazy but has worked o.k. for the last 10 years. Couple this with a master link and it's very easy. If you have a bunch of bikes do em all at the same time.

Mark pallister

Mark is correct, pure wax will flake off and. heavy grease, oil or beeswax will make It more flexible. I've used a 1lb brick of canning wax with a beeswax toilet bowl seal. They are really sticky. I did buy a new one for this purpose and it cost less than $5. I have a dedicated crock pot and I only wipe the crud off the chain and toss it in. Any grit is heavier than the wax and will sink down to the bottom. I know it's lazy but has worked o.k. for the last 10 years. Couple this with a master link and it's very easy. If you have a bunch of bikes do em all at the same time.
The best stuff to mix in is ptfe powder ,its v expensive unless you get it from China on eBay
you can see it stuck to the side of the chain ,cracking stuff

Give the chain and cassette a good clean then wax it
If it’s done properly it will never get dirty again
It matters not a jot what you put on a chain at this time of year, they will get filthy pretty quickly. A decent quality wax and wet lube will stop the worst of any debris induced wear, but they’re not magic.

Top Bottom