Overlapping puncture patches.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Is this okay? I've got a patch on a tube and two holes have appeared closely either side of it. If I patch them, they'll both overlap the existing patch.

Shall I just throw the tube away or overlap the patches?

Last edited:

Big Andy

Über Member
Throw it. New tubes are very cheap.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Thanks! That's what I thought and that's what I usually do. I've just always wondered...:unsure:

Last edited:
OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Ok, can you re-patch it it with the two patched covering all three holes but not overlapping?
Might be worth a try ;)

Ajax Bay

Guru
Ditch it. Ask yourself: "would I take this patched tube as a spare if I had a 'new' one to take?" If the answer is yes, patch it and recognise you're an incurable risk taker. But risk can be fun; unlike when you get a puncture, replace the tube with your (patched) spare tube, and find it immediately fails on you. That's the hazard, which is not such fun, especially if you struggled to get the tyre back on the rim. If you're riding in company they will not thank you for the additional delay, even if one of the 'team' offers (one of) their spare tube(s). If you're alone it's just a pain.
One patch = OK. Second (let alone third) let alone in 'similar' place: not worth the potential hassle.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have ridden thousands of miles on patched tubes and only ever had one patch fail in 22,000 miles.
Lucky you (probably helped by your excellent patching technique). My counsel was:
"One patch = OK. Second (let alone third) let alone in 'similar' place: not worth the potential hassle."
The OP's issue is overlapping punctures/patches. Your substantive advise to the OP seems to be that 'you can if you can't afford a new inner; and it has always worked for you'. What's your answer to the question "would I take this patched tube as a spare if I had a 'new' one to take?" And I'm not talking about a quick cycle round the block here.
more bother than it is worth
+1

"would I take this patched tube as a spare if I had a 'new' one to take?"
It worries me not whether its patched or not (and yes I have had overlapping, and as many as 7 or 8 patches) nor the distance I do, I think you can appreciate that 22,000 miles over 4 years covers a little more than riding round the block. For the record a new tube could easily be leaking had one or two of those over the years, though it does tend to be very small if its happened.

Top Bottom