Overlapping puncture patches.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What sort of glue and rubber patches do you recommend, @Nigelnaturist ? Do you prepare the already patched tube in any specially (cf a first puncture)? Can I check the width of inner you normally use, please? My success rate/ risk tolerance level are both lower, clearly (on a similar annual mileage). I ride on 25/28s where the patches always seem a bit big for the deflated, punctured tube than I'd prefer.

ayceejay

Guru
Planet X have tubes for 2 quid PM me your address and I'll send this amount out to you today.

@Ajax Bay I just use what i have, be it a cheap kit from the local mini mart but never anything special, though don't be mean with the glue, if you don't apply enough parts of the patch might not adear properly, I use any 18-25c tube I can as I ride on 23c patches look a little big simple because the don't stretch the same as the rubber on the tube, as for punctures I swear by gatorskins 12,000 on a front without a puncture and 7,000 or so on the rear before I got one, I have had one or two pinch punctures, but by far of the punctures I have had have been on Ultra Sports.

Planet X have tubes for 2 quid PM me your address and I'll send this amount out to you today.
If your aiming that at me, its kind but i have other pressing needs for the bike other than tubes, but hopefully come this time next month I should have a little to spend, the bits that need attention will last till then and very shortly after that I should be able to start work (finding it however might not be so straight forward)

davidphilips

Veteran
sorry to change subject a bit but anyone notice you can buy 26 inch mtb tubes for a £1 in the £1 shop pity 700 tubes where not as cheap.
my own theory on tube repair is, if its easy and quick then go for it, if it starts to look a mess or leaks after an attempt then replace it,everyone to there own.

my recent experience, with the self-adhesive patches, suggests it's not worth it…
Try the traditional way. :smile:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Ditch it. Ask yourself: "would I take this patched tube as a spare if I had a 'new' one to take?" If the answer is yes, patch it and recognise you're an incurable risk taker. But risk can be fun; unlike when you get a puncture, replace the tube with your (patched) spare tube, and find it immediately fails on you. That's the hazard, which is not such fun, especially if you struggled to get the tyre back on the rim. If you're riding in company they will not thank you for the additional delay, even if one of the 'team' offers (one of) their spare tube(s). If you're alone it's just a pain.
One patch = OK. Second (let alone third) let alone in 'similar' place: not worth the potential hassle.
My way is to swap tubes on the road, patch at home, but then swap the patched one back in. That way if the patch is going to fail I'll know straight away, and the spare tube is always a fresh one.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
My way is to swap tubes on the road, patch at home, but then swap the patched one back in. That way if the patch is going to fail I'll know straight away, and the spare tube is always a fresh one.
Yep, that's good and that's what I do too. We are one. ;)

Top Bottom