Overrated bands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would have to say Coldplay or U2. Never seen anything great about either.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Frustruck said:
The Incredible String Band and Donovan, lord they were terrible: "First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is". How profound.

Both were terrible, but where they ever really 'rated' that highly anyway?

(BTW, the lyric is actually a rather poor version of a Zen Buddhist explanation of enlightenment with reference to traditional Chinese landscape ('rivers and mountains') - in order to achieve enlightenment, you have to realise their essential illusory and ephemeral nature - then you will really see them as they are. So yes, it is rather fundamental! Doesn't make the song any better though... )

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
mondobongo said:
The Smiths. If Stuart Maconie has his way he will elevate them up to Beatle level.

The Smiths have more in common with The Kinks in articulating a particular vision of Englishness. I can't seem them as being overrated (yet)... it's hard to overestimate just how important they were at the time and to the development of what became 'indie' music.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The Police.

Every time I hear that awful shriek at the start of 'Roxanne' I want to kill people. Terrible cod white reggae and pretentious self-important lyrics by Newcastle's most embarassing musical export. Give me Eric Burdon any day.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
The Police.

Every time I hear that awful shriek at the start of 'Roxanne' I want to kill people. Terrible cod white reggae and pretentious self-important lyrics by Newcastle's most embarassing musical export. Give me Eric Burdon any day.
Hate to say it, but Roxanne for me is one of those guilty pleasures - a bit like Baker Street by gerry rafferty (which I'm sure you also loath). You wouldn't want to own them, much less play them, but when they come on the radio you actually quite like them. Well, when I say you, not you obviously...:smile:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
[quote name='swee'pea99']You probably hate Sultans of Swing too...:smile:[/QUOTE]

No, I have no problem with early Dire Straits actually. Although I much prefer JJ Cale from whom Mark Knopfler stole most of his style!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
No, I have no problem with early Dire Straits actually. Although I much prefer JJ Cale from whom Mark Knopfler stole most of his style!
You think? Hmmm, must admit I never made that connection. I shall have to listen out for it.

Greedo

Led Zeppelin - Rubbish
Pink Floyd -Tedious
The Doors - Few classic songs but apart from that. Highly overrated. If JM was still alive they would be as laughable as the Rolling Stones are now
Nirvana - Good but would not get a look in if Kurt Cobain hadn't blew his head off
Radiohead - The Bends was great. The rest is debatable
The Sex Pistols - Two good songs and that is it
The White Stripes - Don't get them at all

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Greedo said:
Nirvana - Good but would not get a look in if Kurt Cobain hadn't blew his head

smells like teen spirit is an anthem for a generation. their legacy is perhaps over-stated though, as grunge was alive before nirvana, although they were largely responsible for the alternative/mainstream crossover of the early '90s.

Top Bottom