Overshoe advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I would have thought they will be a bugger to put on.

Fine I guess of they are for long rides where you're only taking them on/off once every 4 hours say. Not for commuting IMO.

Don't know what the underneath is like but I suspect you'll hve to be very careful walking in them without them falling apart.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I would have thought they will be a bugger to put on.

Fine I guess of they are for long rides where you're only taking them on/off once every 4 hours say. Not for commuting IMO.

Don't know what the underneath is like but I suspect you'll hve to be very careful walking in them without them falling apart.
Yeah I'm still trying to work out how you put them on. I think they may be like spats where you put them on first then stretch them downwards over the shoe.

One review I saw of them suggested lifting the front up over the toe when walking in them.

I will continue to think about them. I just want dry feet!

If you want dry feet - don't ride in the rain. I have a pair of BBB Hardwear neoprene over shoes with a neoskin coating - the rain just bounces off, but on longer rides your feet will become wet through condensation. On long rides in the rain, your feet will still get wet because of the capillary action which draws water over the top of the overshoes, through your leggings. Your feet will not get cold though - which is the best you can hope for.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not riding in the rain isn't really an option. Current endura overshoes (one pair with zip, one pair with velcro back) don't keep my feet dry on a 12 mile commute. I appreciate that on a 200 miler I'll get wet feet whatever

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had dry feet on a 10 mile commute in the rain, using new Pro Endure H2O overshoes from Wiggle. Easy to get on once I worked out to put them on my legs before putting the shoes on, too.

amaferanga

Veteran
Your feet aren't getting wet with other overshoes because of the zip down the back so I don't see how these would be better.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Your feet aren't getting wet with other overshoes because of the zip down the back so I don't see how these would be better.
I'm hoping the point where they join my leg is more waterproof as I assume it will be elasticated. With the current ones there is always the question of "Should I have them as tight as possible" (often ends up rubbing the skin away) or "Fasten them in the way it looks like they should" (feet get wet). My feet aren't getting wet through the bottom of the shoe (although the inside of the shoe is) cos I have sealskins socks on.

bobones

Veteran
Try a pair of Northwave goretex winter boots instead. Farenheit for road, Celcius for MB style cleats. Far better than overshoes.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Try a pair of Northwave goretex winter boots instead. Farenheit for road, Celcius for MB style cleats. Far better than overshoes.
I have thought about boots but the cost seems prohibitive for how much I'd use them. Yeah, yeah I know, it depends how much I value dry feet!! :rolleyes:

I'm hoping the point where they join my leg is more waterproof as I assume it will be elasticated. With the current ones there is always the question of "Should I have them as tight as possible" (often ends up rubbing the skin away) or "Fasten them in the way it looks like they should" (feet get wet). My feet aren't getting wet through the bottom of the shoe (although the inside of the shoe is) cos I have sealskins socks on.

like I said to you earlier - capillary action will draw water over the top anyway and your feet will still get wet through condensation regardless. If you are wearing sealskinz socks and overshoes, then it's no wonder your feet are getting wet...(through condensation)...

400bhp

Guru
I have thought about boots but the cost seems prohibitive for how much I'd use them. Yeah, yeah I know, it depends how much I value dry feet!! :rolleyes:

I managed to pick up a pair for about £90 (in the summer). Wore then for the 1st time last week and pretty much worn them every day since. Possibly one of the best things I have bought for cycling.

Top Bottom