Overshoes are a 'consumable'?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did you know this? I was told this at the cycle shop where I returned my 2.5-month-old Altura overshoes yesterday as the stitching on the edging around the cleat hole in the bottom had completely given up on one shoe. The two shop bods I spoke to were happy to refund me and said they'd send them back to Altura, when a third chappy comes up and says that the manufacturer won't do anything as the level of wear I had is considered normal, that overshoes are viewed as a consumable item and that I could expect to go through two pairs a year as a regular commuter.
I had the cash by then so I said OK, and availed myself of the end-of-season offer they had on and bought a pair of Shimano MW 80 Goretex lined winter boots.
So, if you're thinking of buying overshoes, I'd give serious though to getting some winter/waterproof boots/shoes instead and saivng yourself money in the long run.:rolleyes:

neoprene overshoes shouldn't do that, should they?

potsy

Rambler
Mine are on their 2nd winter now and not really showing any signs of falling apart yet, the odd scuff here and there but they are still performing as they should.
Have looked at those boots myself though, any thoughts so far? Only problem with the over-shoes is the faff putting them on when I finish work, just want to get going.

Haven't used them yet Potsy as (a) I was in the car Friday and (b) I forgot that you don't get cleats with shoes but with pedals, so I've got a set on order from Chain Reaction and they should hopefull ybe hee Monday, then I'll let you know. In the shop, they felt like they were a nice, snug fit without being overtight and weren't too much of a fiddle to get on/off. I really want it, strange thought this sounds, to pee it down one day next week so I can test them properly.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
My overshoes have lasted a year so far. Looking at replacing them now though as when i track stand i sometimes catch my front tyre on my shoe, which has caused a hole to develop. This only happens on my racer, which i no longer use for commuting.

rusky

CC Addict
My neoprene overshoes are getting tatty, they're endura road ones, most of the wear is down to using them on flat mtb pedals that have ripped the bottom, but they are also going around a stitched pad around the back.

potsy

Rambler
Haven't used them yet Potsy as (a) I was in the car Friday and (b) I forgot that you don't get cleats with shoes but with pedals, so I've got a set on order from Chain Reaction and they should hopefull ybe hee Monday, then I'll let you know. In the shop, they felt like they were a nice, snug fit without being overtight and weren't too much of a fiddle to get on/off. I really want it, strange thought this sounds, to pee it down one day next week so I can test them properly.

Nearly bought some the other week from CRC they must have been on offer about £105 if I remember right, just looked now and they are at £135 might just wait until they sell them off in the summer
wink.gif

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
My BBB neoprene overshoes are on their 3rd year of heavy commmuting use, still fine. Had a pair of endura which the zip broke on third use. Guess it depends on how good they are in the first place

martint235

Dog on a bike
Only really wear my overshoes for the FNRttC or when it's raining. They are the Endura ones and they are getting a bit tatty at the toes but they are about 5 years old now I think

yello

So, if you're thinking of buying overshoes, I'd give serious though to getting some winter/waterproof boots/shoes instead and saivng yourself money in the long run.

I think that's valid advice for every day winter commuters fullstop, forget about the durability of overshoes.

In my experience, overshoes do not last. But then I make no attempt to protect them and quite happily walk in them. Let's be fair, any fabric placed between footfall and road surface really isn't going to survive too long is it? And the upper bits get scuffed and torn on cranks and chainstays. It's just what happens and I don't fault the overshoe manufacturer for that. Whilst they last, they do a good job and I accept that. Just like brake pads or chains or tyres.

So I think the "consumable' description is a fair one (not least because I have made it myself on this forum.... hmmmm) but that's not to say I expect an overshoe to fall apart at first wear. Allowance is to be made for 'reasonable' wear and tear, and 'reasonable' is clearly subjective. You pays your money and makes your choice. Hence me agreeing with your suggestion re winter boots.

Danny

Legendary Member
Did you know this? I was told this at the cycle shop where I returned my 2.5-month-old Altura overshoes yesterday as the stitching on the edging around the cleat hole in the bottom had completely given up on one shoe. The two shop bods I spoke to were happy to refund me and said they'd send them back to Altura, when a third chappy comes up and says that the manufacturer won't do anything as the level of wear I had is considered normal, that overshoes are viewed as a consumable item and that I could expect to go through two pairs a year as a regular commuter.
I had the cash by then so I said OK, and availed myself of the end-of-season offer they had on and bought a pair of Shimano MW 80 Goretex lined winter boots.
So, if you're thinking of buying overshoes, I'd give serious though to getting some winter/waterproof boots/shoes instead and saivng yourself money in the long run.:rolleyes:

The shop bods are talking rubbish, legally speaking. The Sale of Goods Act stipulates that goods must be of reasonable quality and durability and I am sure you have every right to expect a pair to last for more than 2 and a half months.

It is also rubbish for the shop to fob you off by saying that the manufacturer won't do anything about it. The Sale of Goods Act makes it 100% clear that your contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer, and it is up to the retailer to rectify any fault with the goods. You can find out more about your legal rights on the Consumer Direct website or Adviceguide.

Having said that I have some sympathy with the shop as Altura are notoriously poor when it comes to dealing with problems with their goods.

I'm Ok Danny, as they'd given the refund before I got the 'they're consumables' spiel from guy no.3.
Time for a confession, I made a mistake with the manufacturer of this items ( I will be flaggelating myself shortly, sorry! :blush: ), the actual product I had was the Endura MT500 MTB overshoe.

Please forgive me Mr Altura for unfairly accusing your products of being less than satisfactory.

Danny

Legendary Member
I'm Ok Danny, as they'd given the refund before I got the 'they're consumables' spiel from guy no.3.
Time for a confession, I made a mistake with the manufacturer of this items ( I will be flaggelating myself shortly, sorry! :blush: ), the actual product I had was the Endura MT500 MTB overshoe.

Please forgive me Mr Altura for unfairly accusing your products of being less than satisfactory.

Well, that put's an entirely different perspective on the story :rolleyes:

What you were involved in was an ancient cultural ritual that takes place in even the best LBS when you ask for a refund. Before the shop will hand over any money the customer has to listen to well worn litany that goes along the lines of:
a) We are not really under any obligation to give you a refund
b) We will inevitably loose out by doing so
c) But we are such nice people that we are prepared to do so in this instance to demonstrate our good faith.

While this ritual involves an element of clever customer relations, its always seemed to me that is main purpose is to provide LBS staff with a therapeutic way of dealing with the trauma of handing over some of their hard earned cash.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i always expect mine to wear out. they are material after all. you're not really expecting material not to wear down if you're walking on it? mine usually last a season, sometime 2.

Top Bottom