Overshoes - can they be used with normal shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Can someone tell me if you can use overshoes with normal shoes? Cos when its wet, I seem to be suceeding at keeping most of me dry, except my feet (I do have mudguards).

Would they go over normal shoes? would I need to go a size up? (I'm a wide size 8/42) and is the fit meant to be quite close?

I was advised against it, I cant remember why :laugh:, so I got meself a pair of waterproof socks (sealskinz).

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I can't see why not.
I didn't like the feel of the Sealskinz socks - a bit slimy and cold and I found they filled up with water.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
HLaB said:
I was advised against it, I cant remember why :laugh:, so I got meself a pair of waterproof socks (sealskinz).

I use those as well but found during the summer last month, well those very wet months that water just ran down my legs and into the inside of those socks.

Tynan

Veteran
For anyone interested, the Diadora Chillis got their first real wet weather test today, steady rain and a lot of surface water

finished up with very wet feet indeed, granted they got wet slowly over an hour and stayed quite warm and wet but waterproof those shoes most definitely are not

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Strangely enough the sealskin waterproof socks arrived this morning.... I've yet to try them on... I had ordered those when I was contemplating this question.

domtyler

Über Member
I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't be able to wear overshoes over normal shoes. My Adistar neoprene ones came with complete soles and you have to cut out the hole required for the cleats yourself, although they were scored in the right places. I would definitely recommend the Adistar overshoes, best ones I've ever had, got to work through heavy rain and standing water this morning and still had nice dry toasty warm toes :biggrin:

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm not worried about the bottom of them, I think the top of the shoe gets very wet from both the road/end of mud guard and more likely the quantity of rain running off my waterproof jacket and trousers.

barq

The problem tends to be that cycling shoes are narrower than many ordinary shoes (especially trainers). I have some 'commuter' overshoes which I'm pretty sure are made by Altura. They take a wider shoe, the only problem is they don't hook on as securely as regular neoprene overshoes.

D

Deleted member 1258

:biggrin: yes you can use overshoes with normal shoes. I have been doing so for several years. What I found was I had to go up several sizes, I have been using them with steel toecapped work boots, might need a chat at the LBS to sort out what you need.

P.H

Über Member
Eager Sport make some nylon ones designed to be used with normal shoes.
Overshoes
I've been using them for the last few weeks and they work well. Don't add any warmth like the neoprene ones, but they've kept my shoes completly dry.

DLB

i have been using overshoes over an old pair of trainers for about a year with good results. The overshoes are pulled tight and do 'ride up' (no pun intended) the side of the trainer a little but they work fine.

For the colder days i have 4 layers around my feet

Woolie boolie socks (brilliant)
carrier bag
trainer
overshoe

These keep me warm and mostly dry on even the worst days

bonj2

they normally come in 'ranged' sizes, e.g. small that's 3-5, medium that's 6 - 8 and large that's 9-12. if you're say 5 get medium, and if you're 8 get large.

Top Bottom