overshoes for spd's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
bought some spd overshoes from aldi during their last sale and the bottoms are now ruined (i walk a fair bit) i only ride on road but want something a bit better that should last longer, i've heard some have kevlar soles which in theory should last longer.

any recomendations?

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I'm interested in this too. I spent €35 on overshoes this year and there are already holes in them. I'm thinking I might invest in some winter cycling shoes next year.

henshaw11

The Endura MT500 jobbies do have kevlar (or something like that)+rubber toe sections, but the edging and the stitching holding the edging around the cleat/tread holes isn't - used with my old sidis the edging has got a bit shredded from catching on the spd when clipping in. I've stitched one side under nr the front of the cleat to give more clearance but still need to do the other. It's probably made worse 'cos the treads on my old shoes were very worn - I've now got out my newish spare pair, and that holds the material out of the way a little better.
Some of the BBB overshoes have a rubber sole IIRC - I tried a pair and they didn't quite fit, but the shop didn't have the next size down unfortunately.

Redvers

Can’t quite work this one out, need more accurate information.

If you’re referring to overshoes being worn with SPD SL ie road shoes, then you shouldn’t be walking in them at all as the shoes really are not for walking in.

If you mean overshoes being worn with SPD shoes ie MTB or possibly touring shoes then the elastic edge of the overshoes normally fits around the bottom edge of the shoe soles and a middle velcro strap passes under the shoe, between heel and sole, high of the tread, so that with a little adjustment no part of the overshoe needs to touch the ground when walking.

I have a couple of pairs of Northwave overshoes which work like this which I have had for years, but general advice when wearing cycling kit would be ride don’t walk ;-)

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Can’t quite work this one out, need more accurate information.

If you’re referring to overshoes being worn with SPD SL ie road shoes, then you shouldn’t be walking in them at all as the shoes really are not for walking in.

If you mean overshoes being worn with SPD shoes ie MTB or possibly touring shoes then the elastic edge of the overshoes normally fits around the bottom edge of the shoe soles and a middle velcro strap passes under the shoe, between heel and sole, high of the tread, so that with a little adjustment no part of the overshoe needs to touch the ground when walking.

I have a couple of pairs of Northwave overshoes which work like this which I have had for years, but general advice when wearing cycling kit would be ride don’t walk ;-)

I have Look pedals. I can walk with these shoes - but I need covers. In practice, you can't always avoid walking in your cycling shoes.

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
i have mtb shoes on my road bike.....

i do try and cycle up the hillls but i just dont have a big enough engine for the trailer im tugging.....

Redvers

Jifdave: Seems like a tough call tugging trailers up hills, some well designed overshoes should do the job, check out the current winter sale offerings of Northwave, although I think most of the well known makes use a similar system.

Jimmy Doug: Don’t know about Look, sounds tricky, winter boots might be a way to go.

If they are bulky mtb shoes I'd recommend going for something with a velcro closure, my recently purchased ones from Planet X fit the bill. I'm wearing out my Satinis first and they are a tight fit on my mtb shoes.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Cycle Active mag recently gave top rating to BBB heavy duty overshoes in their test. I have had my pair for 3 years .....and have to stitch the bottoms back together after most rides now! :smile:

I also have a pair of Endura MT500's which I have found very useful and probably use them more that I should as they keep my feet both dry and warm. I have a pair of Lake MTB shoes which make the MT500's a tight fit, but having found the technique for putting them on (after being given full instructions to avoid breaking the zip by my LBS) I find that the sole of the shoe is all that is in contact with the ground. I was walking in them on Saturday when after severe chain slip I decided to sort in out in the warmth of the kitchen rather than knee deep in cold wet muddy slush at the side of the road. The only down side was that it was 1 1/2 miles up hill:angry:

Top Bottom