overshoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Lidl carrier bags taped to the ankle with duct tape. I saw that once. Magnificent!

DG145

Regular
I'm currently using Shimano Blaze
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/shimano-blaze-shoe-covers-id_8219891.html
Size L for my Size 9 MTB type shoes. Getting them on can be a bit of a wrestling match but once I've won they are snug and secure.

I find them very good for keeping off windchill and they are reasonably waterproof, unless it's an absolute downpour - in which case they eventually succumb, but short of wearing a scuba wet-suit you're never going to get guaranteed dry feet if you're covering any distance in really heavy rain.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
northwave-2013-arctic-commuter-gtx-boots-mtb.jpg

best ever winter purchase - thermal, waterproof goretex - no more over shoes or thermal socks, just nice snuggly warm feet

Yes a little expensive, but by the time you factor in the cost of shoes, overshoes and socks then the price difference is minimal

Also available in black

northwave-celsius-gtx-shoe.jpg

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
northwave-2013-arctic-commuter-gtx-boots-mtb.jpg

best ever winter purchase - thermal, waterproof goretex - no more over shoes or thermal socks, just nice snuggly warm feet

Yes a little expensive, but by the time you factor in the cost of shoes, overshoes and socks then the price difference is minimal

Also available in black

northwave-celsius-gtx-shoe.jpg

Not to diminish your post, as they look like a good purchase, I am just unsure of the rational to your comment? Are you basing this comment on people having different shoes for summer and winter, plus overshoes and socks?

jowwy

Not to diminish your post, as they look like a good purchase, I am just unsure of the rational to your comment? Are you basing this comment on people having different shoes for summer and winter, plus overshoes and socks?
yes i am rob3rt - probably because there is no way i would use my summer shoes in the winter months and i found it a pain in the backside putting on the overshoes and thicker socks for winter use.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
No problem, was just thinking to myself, surely a pair of overshoes is cheaper than a pair of those boot things. I wear the same shoes year round, I couldn't give a toss about my shoes though, they are 4 years old and are a low end pair of shoes (an odd compromise to make on my part I must admit) so overshoes work out cheaper for me.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Downside of overshoes IMO is that if you have to walk at all, they wear through quick, I wrecked a pair of lycra overshoes (worn as an aero aid for time trialling) by walking about 1-2 metres to my bike from race HQ over a few weeks. If you factor this sort of thing in, winter boot/shoes might actually be a good idea.

Neoprene shoes will be a bit more robust than plain lycra overshoes, but they still wear through.

No problem, was just thinking to myself, surely a pair of overshoes is cheaper than a pair of those boot things. I wear the same shoes year round, I couldn't give a toss about my shoes though, they are 4 years old and are a low end pair of shoes (an odd compromise to make on my part I must admit) so overshoes work out cheaper for me.

Same here - I wear the same shoes all year. Mine are Bont A2s, so not the cheapest. Overshoes are £20 and I usually just wear regular cycle socks. No issues with the cold. Winter boots are a bit OTT, I think. Personally, I don't know anyone that wears them on the road.

Last edited:

jowwy

Same here - I wear the same shoes all year. Mine are Bont A2s, so not the cheapest. Overshoes are £20 and I usually just wear regular cycle socks. No issues with the cold. Winter boots are a bit OTT, I think. Personally, I don't know anyone that wears them on the road.
plenty of people on here that do and quite a few in the club i ride with too. Each to their own

Personally i have 3 pairs - summer, winter and turbo use. maybe thats a little OTT for some, but i do not want my summer shoes to get wrecked in the wet, mud and grime of the winter and my turbo shoes are just simple two velcro straps and easier to just slip into without the ratchet strap fitting

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I just use one pair of £50 Northwave shoes that live in the boiler cupboard to dry them out! If they are really wet, I pull the inner sole out and stuff them with newspaper before putting them in the cupboard. If I could afford some, I'd buy a pair of Bont Zero+!

What are your summer shoes Jowwy?

Last edited:
Top Bottom