overshoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeruss

i am a first time user of overshoes(Endura). i dont know if there is a certain method of fitting them as it took me nearly half hour to get them on and i struggled to fasten the rear zips. i am a size 8 shoe and bought the size 9 L overshoe. i must be doing something wrong or is it because its the first time they hae been worn, i know they are meant to be tight fitting but these seem very tight and yet the next size up is to fit size 11-12 shoe. help!

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I just go sock, carrier bag, sock and make do with that - not ready for overshoes at this point in my life - saw a guy wearing fluorescent pink ones the other though and I was quite impressed by that - yours don't sound right though and that's all I have to offer.

screenman

Legendary Member
I found the Endura came up very small, OK for maybe a slim Italian road shoe, but certainly not anything bigger. My nines got given to a friend with size 7 feet.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
i am a first time user of overshoes(Endura). i dont know if there is a certain method of fitting them as it took me nearly half hour to get them on and i struggled to fasten the rear zips. i am a size 8 shoe and bought the size 9 L overshoe. i must be doing something wrong or is it because its the first time they hae been worn, i know they are meant to be tight fitting but these seem very tight and yet the next size up is to fit size 11-12 shoe. help!
I'm a size 8 too and went for the Large size. They do loosen up over time and they're not too bad to get on and off now. My road shoes have 3 Velcro straps so nothing too bulky sticking out. My MTB shoes however, they've got a ratchet strap and they are hard work to get over that as it sticks out a bit more. They are worth the struggle though. My feet used to freeze until I wore them. Not completely waterproof it's true, but good enough for puddles and the odd shower.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I've had the same experience with Endura overshoes.

Mine are now permanently fitted to a pair of slip-on shoes.

Still can't do the zip up fully.

I use platform pedals, so the stretchy sole of the overshoes wouldn't last long in regular use.

Not such a problem for me as I'm only out once a week or so in winter.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Are you putting the overshoe on your ankle before you put your shoe on, and then pulling it down, or are you trying to pull the overshoe up and over the shoe?

Svendo

Guru
Hints on putting neoprene over shoes on (this is how I do it, YMMV):
1) put toe in the front, then pull this as snug as possible by pulling on the cleat hole.
2) then grab the back of the heel hole below the zip and stretch this over your heel
3) then pull on the zip and top to get the whole thing fitting snug, then do the zip up.
I have size 43/44 road shoes and they're a nice snug fit. They just go over my 44 recessed MTB shoes though.
One thing to avoid is pulling on the neoprene itself, as this can cause it to rip, especially the folds that you get on both sides after stage 1.

Repair: I've used rubber shoe type glues (Total Glue, shoe goo) which work well and are cheaper but not quite as good as neoprene glue (Black witch). Vinyl glue (151) does stick neoprene but isn't quite flexible enough for all areas. Rubber Vulcanising Solution (out of your puncture repair kit) will also stick neoprene. I've also got repair patches on the insides of both ankles where they rub the cranks (like the circle on converse trainers) stuck on exactly the same way as repairing a puncture. I've had a few crashes with my current pair and managed to keep them going.
I find it's the main seam at the front where it flexs on each pedal stroke that gradually deteriorates with horizontal cracks, beyond my ability to glue it.

Edit: my instructions are for the endura or bbb types with two holes in the sole, the ones with a velcro strap might be different, I've not used them.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Wow! What did you buy! I like the Northwave farenheight boots so much I'm considering buying a pair of the MTB cleat version (centigrade).
Mine are Lake MTB boots, something like http://www.leisureoutlet.com/cyclin...g-Boots.html?gclid=CLrzjOaN-cICFcoBwwodw0oAWw
Can't remember if I paid £70 or £80 now? Was thinking of getting some winter shoes for the road bike, but it's getting a bit silly with all my shoes, so I just use std spd pedals on my old road bike through winter :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Having trashed several fairly pricy pairs of overshoes I bought some cheapo Planet X ones and they're the most durable ones I've come across, not to mention easy to fit and remove.

Top Bottom