Overtaking (lack of) etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
use your left hand behind your back to indicate to other riders you are pulling right. It avoids misinterpretation of your intent by motorists.

I can see that would work within a close group of riders who were aware of such a signal, I don't think it would work between randomly encountered commuting cyclists. I'd think the guy was just scratching his back.

When I indicate for the benefit of motorists or pedestrians, I use the full arm out as per the HC. When I'm indicating to a following cyclist that I'm moving out to my right I'll use the shortened version from the elbow.

Something worth remembering is that a rider should ensure that his signal has been seen and understood before performing the manoeuvre.

GC

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
use your left hand behind your back to indicate to other riders you are pulling right. It avoids misinterpretation of your intent by motorists.

Move-over.jpg
I always thought that you should do that point to warn other cyclists of obstacles on that side of the road. Such as a parked car, in the uk You would use your right hand behind you back to point left, and then you indicate right to pull around it.

I always thought that you should do that point to warn other cyclists of obstacles on that side of the road. Such as a parked car, in the uk You would use your right hand behind you back to point left, and then you indicate right to pull around it.

You mean randoms on the street or fellow group/club riders?

I can see the benefit of working together when you all know each other, heads down and all that. But if I spent all my general cycling time pointing obstacles to random cyclists I might meet my arms would drop off!:thumbsup:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The average car driver or cyclist would not know what that signal means, and most likely think you are flicking them off for no reason.....
The signal isn't intended for car drivers so their ignorance is welcome. The average cyclist would be well aware what the signal means.

The signal isn't intended for car drivers so their ignorance is welcome. The average cyclist would be well aware what the signal means.

What if the car driver is also an average cyclist, they will be well aware of the signal's meaning by your own opinion:whistle:

What if the person seeing the signal was an exceptional driver but a poor cyclist?

Would this be the same as if they were a poor driver and an average cyclist?

If two exceptional cyclists wanted to re-turf a playing field measuring 800 square metres and the maximum payload of their lorry was 1.5 tonnes, how many fish would there be in Alaska?

Would it make a difference if the moderate cyclist in the red shirt had only green sweets but wasn't sharing?

You know I'm right.

What if the person seeing the signal was an exceptional driver but a poor cyclist?
They would know to wait for the cyclist to finish their overtake before checking to see if it was then safe for them to pass both cyclists.

Would this be the same as if they were a poor driver and an average cyclist?
No as although they recognise the signal their poor driving skills mean they run both cyclists down when they attempt to pass.

If two exceptional cyclists wanted to re-turf a playing field measuring 800 square metres and the maximum payload of their lorry was 1.5 tonnes, how many fish would there be in Alaska?
There are no fish in Alaska, Sarah Palin has shot them all.

Would it make a difference if the moderate cyclist in the red shirt had only green sweets but wasn't sharing?
No, nobody likes the green ones anyway.

You know I'm right.

Yes, yes you are:thumbsup:

lordloveaduck

I showed the pic to several people and they just think it's someone giving them a sly 'V' sign. You really have to understand that most people get on a bike and
go, they do not go annul on reading the highway code and the most they know about signalling is to stick your arm out if your planing on turning.

Top Bottom