Overweight and which bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redj

Hi all

Any and all advice v welcome.

Thank you I’m advance.

I am tipping scales at 23 stone and really need to exercise and do something before my body and weight is really out of control. 6ft 3 and always been heavy set but now just plain fat and obese.

I am looking a little advice regarding a bike. I feel motivated to get out on a bike and hope this will spare me on to get into shape and buck up unhealthy habits.

Hoping to get out on raids aroud where I live.

I looking some Pointers as to any advice for a bike that would be a good option. Something that will work with me and allow me to get going. Not sure what a budget should event be.

That’s it for starters.

Thank you again for any pointers and advice

J

Drago

Legendary Member
Greetings and welcome.

I'd find a robust and workmanlike hartail MTB or a nice hybrid. If you fancy road riding you can slap slicks on the MTB. You're far too heavy for most manufacturers road bikes, so they're out (unless you want to risk it). Most MTBs are rated about 125-130kg, so you're over their official limits, but still probably within their actual abilities.

It's your call, but I wouldn't spend too because as your weight drops and you gain more experience a different style of bike might appeal. £300-400 should get you something capable that isn't too pricy, but which doesn't feel horrific to ride.

Best of luck.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
First...welcome!
Second, on-road only, mixed surfaces, any off-road?
Thirdly, what local bike shops do you have?
Fourthly, avoid anything racy for the time being, you need wheels with a good number of sturdy spokes and tyres of a reasonble diameter say 28/32c upwards
Fithly lots of good low-down gears
Sixthly, unless off -roading avoid suspension and knobbly tyres
Lastly but not leastly, make sure you take the time to get a bike that fits properly.

Flat barred hybrids are a good place to start as are touring bikes. Robust, comfortable, well geared and will cover most but tve roughest ground.

Tangoup51

Depends on your budget my man, I wouldn't say go for hybrids and certainly not road bikes. - For those two kinds of bikes, the more expensive you go, the lighter and ultimately Weaker it can be. Sticking low end here is probably your best bet.

Low end bikes don't shave material off their bikes to save weight, so they're more robust.

Like @Spiderweb just suggested, that carrera is certainly heading in the right direction. Carrera bikes help me lose alot of weight, with immense reliability, robustness, and longevity. - And hella fun too.

However, I would say you should aim for something with suspension.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-parva-mens-hybrid-bike

Is my suggestion. It's currently on sale for less than £200 - This doesn't have any suspension, but, the forks are steel; not full alloy like the Subway, so they would take your weight better. - The only trade off is the lack of disc brakes and 21 speed instead of 24.

My main reason for suggesting this bike; is the lowest gear on cassette is a 34T sprocket. This gear is Incredibly easy, Incredibly incredibly easy. This will haul you up a hill with very little problems.

I Heavily suggest the parva.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum. Many on here have been in your position and have made the grade so no reason why you can’t. It’s great you’ve recognised the problem and decided to tackle it. Exercise together with a planned eating routine will give you the best possible chance.
As previously stated a basic bike without suspension front forks is the best way to go. If you have a Decathlon near you pop in and have a look at these:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-120-hybrid-bike-id_8379017.html
An even cheaper alternative to the Carrera Axle above at Halfords.
Disc brakes are a better all weather option to rim brakes but if you can forgo them you can save some money.
You’re likely to find the saddles on these bikes a pain, literally, so money saved could go towards a better one or padded shorts which may be a necessity for you.
You’ll find things hard going at first but it will only get easier. Take things at your own pace, cycling is great for this, start with five miles or so and build up. A simple cycle computer will be useful and help you track your rides with speeds and times.
Good luck.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
+1 for the Carrera Subway.

Great bike for the money, can be used on or off road, and constantly popular so you'll have no trouble selling it on to fund your next bike. :okay:

Depends on your budget ... I heavily suggest the parva.
... and it depends on your sense of humour?

No disrespect to you, or for that matter to the bike. But "parva" made me giggle - Latin for "small, little, cheap". Particularly and specifically, "little girl".

What numbskull thought that would be an appropriate name for a men's hybrid bike?

May the good lord preserve us from "pajeros" in marketing!

And more positively?

+1 for
... a basic bike without suspension front forks is the best way to go.

Last edited:
To begin with, I'd personally recommend a hybrid with front suspension. The upright riding position should help you whilst building core strength, the front suspension should prevent the bike being 'skittish' under an unusual loading, the wider tyres, should make the Ride more comfortable. My 2 favourite VFM choices ( best for a new rider IME) are the Riverside 900 from Decathlon ( unfortunately looks to be out of stock ) but some stores may have them, and the Boardman MX Comp. As your condition improves, the drop bar, rigid fork bikes would be a good next step. Good luck with your endeavours.

Alan O

Über Member
I am tipping scales at 23 stone and really need to exercise and do something before my body and weight is really out of control. 6ft 3 and always been heavy set but now just plain fat and obese.
Others can give you better bike advice than I can, but I hope I can give you a bit of encouragement. A friend of mine, after many years of doing nothing about it, managed to get himself down from 25 stone to around 15 stone - and he's under 6ft. They key is genuinely wanting to do it, and you've come to the right place to find a great bunch of motivated people who'll offer you moral support here!

Tangoup51

No disrespect to you, or for that matter to the bike. But "parva" made me giggle - Latin for "small, little, cheap". Particularly and specifically, "little girl".

What numbskull thought that would be an appropriate name for a men's hybrid bike?

Good point, never heard of the name either.. Now I know why I hadn't :laugh:

Hello and welcome to the forum. Many on here have been in your position and have made the grade so no reason why you can’t. It’s great you’ve recognised the problem and decided to tackle it. Exercise together with a planned eating routine will give you the best possible chance.
As previously stated a basic bike without suspension front forks is the best way to go. If you have a Decathlon near you pop in and have a look at these:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-120-hybrid-bike-id_8379017.html
An even cheaper alternative to the Carrera Axle above at Halfords.
Disc brakes are a better all weather option to rim brakes but if you can forgo them you can save some money.
You’re likely to find the saddles on these bikes a pain, literally, so money saved could go towards a better one or padded shorts which may be a necessity for you.
You’ll find things hard going at first but it will only get easier. Take things at your own pace, cycling is great for this, start with five miles or so and build up. A simple cycle computer will be useful and help you track your rides with speeds and times.
Good luck.

I would certainly disagree with the Decathlon recommendation for a heavy rider. Their manuals clearly state a 100kg weight limit minus the weight of the bike. Which means effectively about 85kg to 90kg capacity. This is relatively low limit and with the various frame recalls on Btwin bikes I would never recommend that brand for heavy riders and could be incredibly dangerous.

Many brands have a 136kg/300lb weight limit. The criteria I would set would be high strength frame (mountain bike/hybrid), strong double wall wheels, high spoke count ideally 26" (however they are out of fashion now and 27.5" may have to be substituted), cassette based gearing not a freewheel and you don't want suspension. So my recommendation would be the Carrera Subway, not the Carrera Parva which is freewheel based.

Even so there may be some issues. I would probably inflate the tyres marginally above their maximum pressure stated on the tyre sidewall. If it was 60psi I'd probably go 65 psi. Make sure you avoid all potholes etc and don't be annoyed with yourself if you have to get off the bike and walk up some hills. Treat the bike extremely well until your weight has dropped off comfortably.

Another option is the ikea bike. It's rated to something like 160kg but I think you'd be happier with the Carrera Subway.

Whatever bike you decide to buy ensure it is designed and states a weight capacity suitable for you. Aim for 136kg/300lb limit which many brands adhere to, off the top of my head, Specialized, Giant, Trek, Carrera, Voodoo, kalkhoff. Don't choose a brand that aims for low weight, low price models by compromising bike strength. Those are only suitable for men of average to low weight. Many cyclists are obsessed with bike weight and purchase accordingly and some brands cater for that type of cyclist so such brands like Btwin should be avoided.

Don't take the advice of any local bike shops as gospel. Many are not experts on dealing with overweight cyclists and will recommend bikes often not suitable because they are bikes they sell and in stock. To be honest I'm not sure there is a direct equivalent to the Carrera Subway in many bike brands. Your LBS may try to suggest a bike with suspension or weaker 700c wheels. Check out the bike manufacturer's sites and check their manuals for maximum rider weight etc or ask instore to see the manual. You don't want to end up with a bike that needs constant upgrades to handle your weight. Start from the beginning with a bike as strong as possible.

And more positively?

+1 for

My only understanding of Parva was the food reference.

440px-Chocolate_Especial.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parva_(food)

One of the main benefits to cycling surely is the ability to eat more food!

Top Bottom