Overweight beginner looking to start cycling (Help needed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Good luck mate. I started cycling about 6 weeks ago and have lost half a stone from 16 to 15.5 stone(Im 5ft 10). I havent cut back on food but plan on introducing healthy eating a bit at a time rather than a drastic diet.

Mountain bikes are harder to pedal than hybrids or pure road bikes.I bought a secondhand 21 speed hybrid for £60 .It does me fine for now.

colinr

If you're looking to lose weight, cutting down drink (assuming you drink) is also really helpful. Sometimes I regret the day I found out how many calories were in a pint.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy85

Thanks for all of the replies folks, it's really appreciated :ohmy:

Do bike tyres have the max pressure in DPI on the side like on cars? If so I have a good tyre inflator which informs you of the DPI pressure, so that could come in handy :smile:

Congrats on the weight loss Banjo, well done :becool:

I'm going to have a proper look around now at some bikes, I shall post my findings and see what you lovely folks think ;)

Losidan

jimmy,
just been reading your posts mate. I started last year at 24 stone and have dropped 3 stone so far....You will NEVER regret starting it up. I did as mentioned before...started off small distances and gradually worked up. I just cant get enough and wish i never gave up all those years ago...For me it is the sense of achievment when you see improvement...THe first time I rode my local loop non stop...first time i rode the long hill to my house non stop....first time i actually caught and passed someone....I could go on and on

I personally ride a mountain bike with semi slicks for road and canal action and have some knobblies for trails....I have no problem with a hybrid but if you fancy some off road action an MTB is a bit more versatile. You'll be completely addicted once you've had a blast off road and having a right hoot while losing weight at the same time!

I bought an old marin (2002 Palisades trail) from ebay for £100. I have beaten the crap out of it in all honesty and yet it still comes back for more (touch wood!)

OP
OP
J

Jimmy85

Cheers for the info Losidan

I've been scouting about Ebay/Gumtree/The Loot for 2nd hand bikes, and haven't really seen anything (I don't think anyway!) I've seen a decent looking Raleigh bike, and I'm just waiting on a reply on the size of the frame of the bike

just4fun

welcome to the forum Jimmy and i wish you all the best with the weight loss and fitness. The forum is full of some realyl nice and helpfull people so there is always someone happy to help out with knowledge and advice. There is also a weight loss thread where people can share targets and achievments. Im not sure if thats the kind of thing you go for but i'll post the link on anyhow as it might be usefull.

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7341

sw3008

Guru
Jimmy,

As you're in Liverpool, can I suggest that you go into either Quinns on Edge Lane or Picton Cycles on (you've guessed it) Picton Road.

They'll give you some really good advice (esp. in Quinns) & you won't have to buy from them if you don't want to.

SW

OP
OP
J

Jimmy85

sw3008 said:
Jimmy,

As you're in Liverpool, can I suggest that you go into either Quinns on Edge Lane or Picton Cycles on (you've guessed it) Picton Road.

They'll give you some really good advice (esp. in Quinns) & you won't have to buy from them if you don't want to.

SW

Cheers mate ;)

I actually work in Wavertree, so I'm very close to both places, I might pop in after work today ;)

Aso, it turns out my friend's Dad's friend owns Quinns, I might see if he can get me some cheeky discount :thumbsdown:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Jimmy85 said:
Aso, it turns out my friend's Dad's friend owns Quinns, I might see if he can get me some cheeky discount :thumbsdown:

Commonly known as a result! ;):thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jimmy85 said:
Thanks for all of the replies folks, it's really appreciated :tongue:

Do bike tyres have the max pressure in DPI on the side like on cars? If so I have a good tyre inflator which informs you of the DPI pressure, so that could come in handy :smile:

Congrats on the weight loss Banjo, well done :biggrin:

I'm going to have a proper look around now at some bikes, I shall post my findings and see what you lovely folks think :bicycle:

Yes, bike tyres have a max to inflate to - usually way higher than any car tyre. It should be embossed on the tyre (in PSI and 'bar' values). A tip is to try and remember, when tyres are fitted, to put the embossed bit next to the valve, to save you searching round for it. I always forget to do this. Do you mean PSI (pounds per square inch) by the way? DPI is Dots Per Inch I think, for printing and images....

Racy tyres often go up to 100-120 PSI, MTB tyres more like 60ish. My Big Apples go up to something like 60 I think, although shamefully I often let them run at much lower. The higher you keep the pressure, (within the safe limit) the easier it is (less drag) and the less chance of a pinch puncture (when the tube gets pinched against the rim when running over a pothole or something)

And well done to all those losing weight. I've ditched a few pounds recently (and could do with losing a few more), and all I've really done is try to reduce portion sizes - yes, even my snacks have got smaller! I had a tendency to cook too much, and then eat it all, so instead of half a tin of tomatoes in my pasta sauce, I now use a third, and so on. Just training myself to cut down the amount of spaghetti from a big fistful to a medium/small one has been hard, but I think it's helped... I was also a devil lfor snacking, esp on cheese. Now, I just cut a piece half the size, and make it last. It's slow, but it's very gradually getting there.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy85

Big news! I know have my own bike!
My Mum has gave me some money to put towards a second hand bike, so I got a virtually brand new Raleigh P2000. I paid 80 for it, from Ebay.
29eb_1.JPG

That's how it looks, and here are the specs:
Style:Gents 700c Hybrid
Wheel size:
700c
Frame size(s):
21"
Colour:
Gun metal grey
Frame:
7005 Aluminium with City Ride geometry
Forks:
Hi-tensile steel tapered fork
Gears:18
Gears rear:
Shimano SIS
Gears front:
Shimano SIS
Gear shifters:
18 speed gripshift
Chainset: Suntour SR XCC 48/38/28T alloy
Bottom bracket:
Full ball bearings, adjustable
Freewheel:
Shimano 6 speed
Headset:
Full ball bearings, adjustable
Stem:
Alloy hi-rise comfort, adjustable
Handlebars:Lo-rise
Brake front:
Tektro alloy V type
Brake rear:Tektro alloy V type
Brake levers:
Alloy, adjustable
Rims:
Alloy
Hub front:
Alloy
Hub rear:
Alloy
Tyres:
City urban
Saddle:
Avenir comfort design
Seatpost:
Suspension alloy micro-adjust with alloy seat clamp
Pedals:
Resin
Extras:
Full mudguards, rear carrier, propstand
and chainguard included

What do you all think?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I think that for a 1st bike you can't go wrong, especially at the price. This is similar to the bikes we use on the Mentro Allan project and they have proved to be very reliable and are great work horses bikes

OP
OP
J

Jimmy85

Angelfishsolo said:
I think that for a 1st bike you can't go wrong, especially at the price. This is similar to the bikes we use on the Mentro Allan project and they have proved to be very reliable and are great work horses bikes

That's very pleasing to hear :sad: Thanks for replying.

So before the bike arrives, is there anything I should learn, anything I should read, know about etc etc?

Top Bottom