Overweight beginner looking to start cycling (Help needed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jimmy85 said:
Me again, haha

So I've been talking to my friend, and he doesn't seem so sure that the bike will hold my weight? Do you guys/gals really think it will??
Also is it best to get some wide tyres (big apples have previously been mentioned?)

Really, that bike will take your weight. It looks like a decently sturdy hybrid, with tough enough wheels. Bikes are remarkably resilient - remember that many carry not only a rider, but a fair weight in luggage or shopping, maybe a couple of stone of kiddie on the back... I reckon you should stick with it as it is for now, get out and enjoy it (perfect time of year, with the weather hopefully getting nicer) and think about changes later. Keep your tyres pumped up well, that'll avoid any pinching-the-tube issues.

I wouldn't worry about padded shorts yet. I think you said you'd be starting with short gentle rides, and padded shorts aren't really vital for stuff like that. I did 14 miles in ordinary jeans yesterday. You'll probably find you get a little sore to start with - that is just acclimatisation. Little and often is the way to start, and to get used to riding.

Do get yourself a decent lock! You don't want to lose the bike you've already come to love!

OP
OP
J

Jimmy85

Thanks guys, really appreciate it ;)

I have been informed that the bike is arriving tomorrow. So I might have a quick go after work tomorrow, before I nip out to see the Iron Maiden film :smile:

BikeShapedObject

Formerly austin-towers
colinr said:
If you're looking to lose weight, cutting down drink (assuming you drink) is also really helpful. Sometimes I regret the day I found out how many calories were in a pint.

Very much seconded. I stopped drinking about 3 months ago, around the same time I started cycling again, and I lost around 2st in the first two months!!! I've started eating more carbs after rides since then, to replace the beer cals, and I've balanced myself at 12st (I'm 6ft1" by the way...)

chqshaitan

Guru
i have recently started to cycle and my first commute to work was today which i will be doing a few times a week. Each way its about 8 miles so nothing major compared to some commutes on here. I want to loose a few pounds for my up and coming wedding.

I am on the wrong side of 22 stone myself and have a normal Hybrid bike and weight is not an issue, while i struggle going up steep hills, on a stretch i can keep up a reasonable pace.

Good luck with getting fitter and healthier bud.

ruffers

Veteran
Think your right I'm definitely included in this category I'm finding it very hard to loose weight not causeof what to do buthhow to motivate myself, anyone else like this??

Think your right I'm definitely included in this category I'm finding it very hard to loose weight not causeof what to do buthhow to motivate myself, anyone else like this??
Motivation is difficult, for me its just getting out the door once out I am fine, but if you enjoy it motivation shouldn't be a real issue, it's taken me a long time to enjoy riding (fitness), but I perceived and now I do , though some hills I am slow on I dont dread them, and I think that can be off putting.

chqshaitan

Guru
yea, i need motivating to get loose weight for definite, thats why i have started to commute. I go to bed early, get up early and cut out drinking as the ride is hard enough without feeling the effects of alcohol lol

yea, i need motivating to get loose weight for definite, thats why i have started to commute. I go to bed early, get up early and cut out drinking as the ride is hard enough without feeling the effects of alcohol lol
Alcohol alone increases weight, just cutting that out and other factors stay the same you should lose weight. When I had a dependency on alcohol I was up about 15st ( I think never weighed myself as drink was the most important factor in my day) these days I don't drink ( I haven't since Nov 2011), I started cycling last June, I guess I was between 13 1/2 and 14 st, the last time I weighed myself I was 12 1/2 that was a few weeks ago, but I took up cycling for other reasons (photography), though that never has really panned out, but I did get into cycling a little, and as I got fitter, it's become more enjoyable (even the hills), I attend a photo group on Tuesdays which is a 9 mile run, from where I live I have to climb this hill.
Baghill to Ponty Barricks
I used to hate it first thing, but now it's not such a problem, I am never fast on it, but thats not the point.

ruffers

Veteran
Alcohol alone increases weight, just cutting that out and other factors stay the same you should lose weight. When I had a dependency on alcohol I was up about 15st ( I think never weighed myself as drink was the most important factor in my day) these days I don't drink ( I haven't since Nov 2011), I started cycling last June, I guess I was between 13 1/2 and 14 st, the last time I weighed myself I was 12 1/2 that was a few weeks ago, but I took up cycling for other reasons (photography), though that never has really panned out, but I did get into cycling a little, and as I got fitter, it's become more enjoyable (even the hills), I attend a photo group on Tuesdays which is a 9 mile run, from where I live I have to climb this hill.
Baghill to Ponty Barricks
I used to hate it first thing, but now it's not such a problem, I am never fast on it, but thats not the point.

That is a great effort for not touching the drink since then we'll done

Me again, haha

So I've been talking to my friend, and he doesn't seem so sure that the bike will hold my weight? Do you guys/gals really think it will??
Also is it best to get some wide tyres (big apples have previously been mentioned?)
You can help by taking your weight on the pedals if it gets a bit bumpy or uneven and avoided dropping down or up kerbs!

Top Bottom