Own up-films that make you blub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Flying_Monkey said:
I always cry in films if the emotion is done well, so it's hard to pick one or two in particular, but... Grave of the Fireflies, which is a Japanese animation about two kids in WW2, and Nobody Knows and Afterlife, both directed by Kore-Eda Hirokazu will make anyone cry. Il Postino gets me too. Lots of others.

Some films stir up so much without forcing you to feel any one thing in particular you just can't speak afterwards for quite some time... United 93 was like that...

Seconded for After Life - that film is really excellent and as well as being great it shows what you can do with a sterling idea and not much budget!

Most of the time I don't cry at things in the films themselves but at what's happened in my life at the time - for a long time after my dad died all a film (or a telly programme for that matter) had to do was show a father figure in even vaguely vulnerable circumstances and I would be the proverbial foreign weeping widow - much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I have to say also that I found the end of twelve monkeys really quite sad, too.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Arch said:
Oh, just thought... Amelie. Not guaranteed to make me cry, but a bit lump-in-the-throat...

Amelie's Charentais hypochondriac pal is in one of my other fave pieces of French cinema - Tatie Danielle. The way her relationship with Tatie Danielle develops is quite emotional.

Oh - and just remembered another blub-fest - Cinema Paradiso

Abitrary

goo_mason said:
I adore Amelie. One of my fave French films.

Audrey Tautou.... hubba hubba :smile::biggrin::biggrin:
The thought that she'll never be mine is enough to make me cry :smile:

dunno, she looks weird. The type that won't let you talk to your friends and makes you eat grapefruit for breakfast and makes you kiss all her teddybears goodnight

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Abitrary said:
dunno, she looks weird. The type that won't let you talk to your friends and makes you eat grapefruit for breakfast and makes you kiss all her teddybears goodnight

Audrey Tatou looks absolutely gorgeous and Amelie is a great little film. It doesn't make me cry but I think it's got a nice little niche somewhere in the feel good films. Bits of it are just so damn funny like at the beginning where it says the cat likes listening to children's stories.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Have to say I'm very pleased that there's not been one mention of 'Ghost' making anyone cry.

Anyone who professes to liking that film should be locked up... ;)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
marinyork said:
I dislike Demi Moore
...but you would, wouldn't you?? (wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more...)

Be honest now. ;):biggrin:;)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
goo_mason said:
Have to say I'm very pleased that there's not been one mention of 'Ghost' making anyone cry.

Anyone who professes to liking that film should be locked up... ;)

Although someone did mention The Green Mile, which is far more evil - IMHO one of the most exploitative mawkish Uncle-Tom movies ever made.

Amelie on the other hand is beautiful. Definitely makes me cry - and actually the much less well-known A Very Long Engagement made by the same team (and with Audrey Tatou) again, also does the same despite being too long...

Pete

Schindler's List.

I suppose the scene where they present him with the ring; and he drops it; and he bursts into tears. Bound to get you going in concert.

Several have mentioned The Railway Children. The scene for me: where Bernard Cribbins (the stationmaster) rejects his 'birthday presents'. That concept of childish innocence going badly awry...

Sorry, I don't own any up-films but when Rick's Bar starts to sing 'The Marseilles' in Casablanca in defiance of the Nazi's Host Wessel song, it brings tears everytime.

The conclusion of Field of Dreams when his dad comes out of the corn fields got me as well unfortunately.

I also defy anyone not to blub at the end of Killing Fields when Dith Pran (God rest him) reunites with Sidney Schanberg as 'Imagine' kicks in.

Top Bottom