Owning a winter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
The new Triban 3 might be an option, or even a cheapish fixed gear, to save a bit on the maintenance costs.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I like to have a commuter/winter bike and a nice bike. The commuter/winter bike set up with lights, full length mudguards etc.. and the nicer bike set up with the bare minimum, usually just bottle cages and a garmin mount.
The nicer bike gets enough use to justify it.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I bought a Boardman CX to preserve my Carbon Roubaix Comp, it has done 800 miles, the Roubaix has passed 11000 miles ^_^ If it wasn't for my Daughter riding the CX now and again I would get shot of it. The clincher for me to use the Roubaix all year was the Raceblade long.

OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
I like to have a commuter/winter bike and a nice bike. The commuter/winter bike set up with lights, full length mudguards etc.. and the nicer bike set up with the bare minimum, usually just bottle cages and a garmin mount.

Aren't you always tempted to leave the commuter at home and take the nicer bike instead?

So long as they all get used then you can justify more than 2 bikes, after all if you have 3 bikes in use, then chains, cassettes, tyres etc will all last 3 times longer, you are only really paying out for the extra frames in the long run, which in the case of complete bikes can be virtually free when you calculate the sum of individual parts.:thumbsup:

zizou

Veteran
I've almost bought a winter bike a couple of times but each time i've ended up buying another sort of bike instead and imo i've made the right choice...of course it would be nice to have but its just not a priority. There are downsides to this choice like more cleaning involved (after every ride in the winter - i suspect if i had a winter bike then i would get lazy) and also knowing that come the spring i'll need to replace chainrings / chain / cassette etc. But i figure id need to be replacing them anyway.

AFF40N

I bought a Boardman roadbike. Great bike and really enjoyed riding and got the bug......so I bought a lovely carbon bike and have relegated my Boardman to my winter bike. Fitted it with "old man style" mudguards and its fantastic at this time of year in the rain,damp and occasionally muddy lanes.
My best bike will be back out in use as soon as the good weather comes along......probably for a few days in the year!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't have a winter bike.
I do have 3 bikes.
A dedicated commuter and 2 bikes for leisure rides (One of each carbon and titanium) all of which are ridden in all weathers be it sunshine or rain.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
+1
The commuter is a virtuoso set up with lights,mudgaurds, panniers etc .For the winter rides i take the panniers off .
For nicer weather rides/club runs i have my boardman which i do not intend it to see winter rides, if i break something the virtuoso is liable to be cheaper to fix .
About to start work on a flat bar bike to be used to winter riding , photos will follow ...........

Buzzinonbikes

2 bikes is the way. Need to make sure that the "winter" bike is still enjoyable to ride though else you won't use it. Commuting on something with Di2 is just daft in my opinion.

Top Bottom