Owning a winter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcard

Veteran
I'm undecided whether to buy 1 good bike, or 1 less good bike and 1 winter bike.

I would love a di2 to use at weekends and in sunny weather. I could probably get a Focus / Canyon and have a bit left over to buy an entry level Boardman for commuting. I'm hesitating because I don't think I would actually ever use the Boardman if I had the di2 sitting there.

So for those who have an n+1, do you get enough use out of your second bike to justify owning one?

simon.r

Person
It all depends on your definition of 'justify'!

How about getting something a bit different rather than 2 bikes which are designed for more or less the same purpose? MTB / single-speed / folder...whatever takes your fancy.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a nicer carbon bike and an old Ribble. The Ribble should be the winter bike, however it has tended to be an emergency bike used if the Carbon bike requires a repair. I think that I am just one of those people who likes to ride the nicer bike even if this means I knacker components on the salty winter roads.

HovR

Über Member
So for those who have an n+1, do you get enough use out of your second bike to justify owning one?

Yep. I use my 'winter' bike/commuter almost every day, when I'm commuting or if I'll be locking my bike up somewhere I don't want to leave the best bike (which is quite common). If you don't do either of these things you may get less use out of it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I use the same road bike in all conditions, I just sling some raceblade long mudguards on and a big bright front light for winter. That being said, wear rates on the components increased massively, it wasn't much a concern for me as I was going to upgrade groupset anyway, but I might be hesitant to ride a top spec bike in all weather if you don't have the time or inclination to really baby it and clean it when home. If you can afford a top end bike, then you probably are not going to break the bank by getting something like the Ribble winter/audax bike on top at a later date. Now weather is (hopefully and in theory) improving, I would get the best bike you can afford, the DI2 equipped roadie, then buy a winter bike before the depths of winter come round again next i.e. buy it around Sept.

OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
It all depends on your definition of 'justify'!

How about getting something a bit different rather than 2 bikes which are designed for more or less the same purpose? MTB / single-speed / folder...whatever takes your fancy.

Folder is possibly a good option, as the girlfriend isn't going to be best pleased when she finds out I need storage for 2 bikes ;)

My commute is quite hilly for 3-4 miles so that's the only thing turning me away from a folder. Good suggestion though!

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I bought my 'nice' bike but quite often get too scared to take it out for fear of hurting it lol...I have an MTB for commuting and short journeys to football where it's out of site for longish periods of time etc.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I still have a hankering for a hybrid....they don't half look sexy!

Top Bottom