Oxymorons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
One of my most hated, most loathed oxymorons has just been heard on the wireless.

'Premium Economy' airline tickets. Premium is surely the opposite to economy? You cant be tall short, fat thin, or handsome ugly,

And the other one that leaves me spitting feathers is 'smart casual'. Smart and casual are two mutually exclusive concepts, like alive and dead. Its a binary choice, can't be both at once.

I do appreciate that I have too much time on my hands if I'm worrying about such matters, but hey ho.

So what oxymorons grind your gears, and why?

Open tubular tyres. It’s either a tubular tyre or it isn’t. If it isn’t it it’s a clincher, no matter what the marketing bods say.

Alex321

Veteran
I do agree with Drago though on "premium economy". I know what they are trying to convey, but it is just wrong to do so with that wording.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Premium economy was a typically Virgin invention though wasn't it? It had Beardy's stamp all over it and yes, it is an oxymoron to put Premium and economy in the same product description.
BA call that class World Traveller Plus, Delta call it Comfort Plus, most airlines have a similar phrase for it, most of which suggest "a bit more room" than economy".

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I agree with TheClaud here. Smart and Casual are not opposites at all.

Our office dress code is smart casual - which means we don't need to wear a collared shirt and tie (men) or other formal wear (that is the "casual" part), but we should not be scruffy, or wear provocative or dirty clothes (that is the "smart" part of it).

I ever suggested smart and causual were opposites.

I siggested they are 2 different things. Wearing clean, neat, casual clothes does not qualify as smart. It qualifies as casual.

Top Bottom