P.E.T.A Sue Photographer On Behalf of (Wrong) Monkey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Peter vs PETA

Tin Pot

Guru
Even if the macaque owns the copyright, the real question is why is Peta even doing this? Why are they expending vast amounts of money to beat up a single photographer? Is it really what their donors want? Will winning this set precedents that will help all the other animals who have had copyright works stolen from them.

Poultry farmers in the US are forced by the companies that they are raising the chickens for to keep them locked in a darkened barn for their whole lives. If they have open sided barns then they will no longer get any chickens to raise. If PETA could get the legal minds they are currently wasting on this to attempt to make those restrictions illegal, they could improve the lives of hundreds of millions of chickens. But no, let's just destroy a poor photographer.

I can hazard a guess that this is to establish some sort of precedent and recognition of an animal having rights. I can see why this would be a huge win for PETA. By establishing that in law they'll be able to leverage it to sue the chicken farmers and put meat eaters in prison for violating the rights of the animal.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4878333, member: 9609"]
But I tend to think they are very well meaning and their hearts are in the right place - I would far rather they were in charge of the planet instead of the money grabbing, greedy, warring, exploiting twats that are currently running things.[/QUOTE]

Then they could sue the entire human race on behalf of the wrong caterpillar.

classic33

Leg End Member
In 2013, the Pennsylvania-based Nonhuman Rights Project, led by attorney Steven Wise, plans to file a series of lawsuits in hopes that one high court in one American state will finally recognize that a nonhuman plaintiff can be a legal "person" in the eyes of the law.

If Wise and his group are successful, they will break new ground by securing humanlike rights for nonhumans. The result could open all kinds of possibilities for the rights of other nonhuman entities.

Advocates for plant rights and robot rights are already planning for the future. If they eventually succeed, it could bring sweeping changes to the way we live. This three-part series on the Future of Nonhuman Rights explores the people and ideas that may bring radical change to legal systems — and societies — around the world.

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/26/160940869/recognizing-the-right-of-plants-to-evolve

I can hazard a guess that this is to establish some sort of precedent and recognition of an animal having rights. I can see why this would be a huge win for PETA. By establishing that in law they'll be able to leverage it to sue the chicken farmers and put meat eaters in prison for violating the rights of the animal.

This was my thought, dismissing them as "Loonies" fails to recognise that a shrewd move like this could sneak through a whole range of "Rights"

For instance if this gives the offspring the same legal rights as a child in inheritance, then can that then be applied to something like a "home" or land?

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4878672, member: 76"]Surely with rights come responsibilities.

If I did a big pooh on your car, I would be in some form of trouble, if I did it twice a day it would be ASBO time. Now if animals are getting rights, they will have to be held accountable for their actions too. Bird prisons, shark prisons,cat prisons, coming soon?[/QUOTE]
Kangaroo Courts!

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 4878893, member: 259"]Apart from all the funny stuff I feel pretty sorry for David Slater and his family.[/QUOTE]

A bit. But this is a photograph. He didn't discover penicillin.

Top Bottom