Pack a chain tool!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't get you. I posted 3 links to back up what I was saying about there being a problem last year with KMC chains.
Er, I'm suggesting that a link to my thread on BikeRadar entitled "Carry a chain splitter tool!" is relevant to this thread on CycleChat entitled "Pack a chain tool!"... 

I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with you posting those 3 links!

e-rider

crappy member
I only carry a chain tool on the first ride after changing the chain - if you conncet it properly and keep it lubed it will not break

ColinJ

I only carry a chain tool on the first ride after changing the chain - if you conncet it properly and keep it lubed it will not break
I've seen a muscleman explode a chain.

I've seen two riders' rear derailleurs go into the spokes and damage their chains.

I saw one rider's gear hanger shear off and his chain get trashed.

I saw another guy's bike with a broken chain after a crash.

I helped another rider with a broken chain and I think that one might actually have been due to incorrect assembly.

As far as I can remember, I've never actually broken one of my own chains but I'm going to continue to carry my multi-tool which includes a chain splitter. 

zacklaws

Guru
I passed a rider on a steep hill yesterday, who was repairing his chain for the third time, on the same hill. I was prepared to stop if he needed assistance, but I probably would not get going again during to the severity of the hill, but he was happy enough and could manage so I laboured onwards and upwards. Why it had snapped three times I do not know, possibly a bad repair job for two of the breakages.

I remember the good old days before multi tools, when all you carried was a small 1" nail and a small nut, if your chain snapped, you looked around for a heavy stone etc to use as a hammer, lay the chain over the nut, and carefully tap the pin out, or almost out, depending on the repair.

The hill in question for those on "Season of the Mists", it was the one after the second checkpoint at the activity center.

Crankarm

Guru
I've seen a muscleman explode a chain.

I've seen two riders' rear derailleurs go into the spokes and damage their chains.

I saw one rider's gear hanger shear off and his chain get trashed.

I saw another guy's bike with a broken chain after a crash.

I helped another rider with a broken chain and I think that one might actually have been due to incorrect assembly.

As far as I can remember, I've never actually broken one of my own chains but I'm going to continue to carry my multi-tool which includes a chain splitter.

For all the failures you've witnessed on others' bikes will anyone still ride with you ;) ?

OP
OP
alp1950

alp1950

Bike parts fail for two reasons.

1/ they are defective, in which case return it with the receipt to th eplac eit was bought.

2/ the owner has assembled it or installed it incorrectly.

I have never seen a chain 'break' due to being defective. A 1/2" rollerchain can pick up the front of a motorcar, and human legs cannot generate that much tension.

Very prescient.

Checked the bike over this evening and found that the screw retaining the mudguard wasn't flush & was protruding a couple of mm. Just enough to catch the chain occasionally when changing up from the smallest cog. Must have damaged the chain resulting in the break.

ColinJ

For all the failures you've witnessed on others' bikes will anyone still ride with you ;) ?
It has been suggested that I 'jinx' people!

Funnily enough, on the last forum ride I did from Rochdale to Blackpool, I had just been thinking that my jinxing powers had faded when I broke a spoke in my rear wheel! That wheel being one of the wheels mentioned above. My mate replaced the spokes he broke at the same time as his chain, but he had obviously not spotted damage to another one which failed after he flogged the wheels to me.

jimboalee

Dodgy posted him three links. He carries them as spares with his chain tool.

dodgy

Er, I'm suggesting that a link to my thread on BikeRadar entitled "Carry a chain splitter tool!" is relevant to this thread on CycleChat entitled "Pack a chain tool!"...

I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with you posting those 3 links!

Ah, sorry, understood :thumbsup:

dodgy

Dodgy posted him three links. He carries them as spares with his chain tool.

:biggrin:

I don't think I'd bother carrying a chain tool it was significantly heavy or awkward to take along. But it's built into a small park multitool and doesn't add anything to the bulk of the tool as it folds up. The tiny amount of additional bulk is worth it for the piece of mind but I've only had to repair one chain on a ride in 25 years of cycling (knocks on wood).

But I do carry spare KMC links :smile:

decca234uk

I never carry a chain tool which is pretty stupid of me really considering how small they are. I'm gong to put one in my bag for tomorrow and make it an esential item. When I look back at the rides I've done, I could easily have got stranded for the sake of a small tool.

Bike parts fail for two reasons.

1/ they are defective, in which case return it with the receipt to th eplac eit was bought.

2/ the owner has assembled it or installed it incorrectly.

I have never seen a chain 'break' due to being defective. A 1/2" rollerchain can pick up the front of a motorcar, and human legs cannot generate that much tension.

Neither of which is a reason not to carry a chain tool. If the chain breaks due to a defect, knowing that it's a defective chain is no consolation on a wet, foggy and windy morning at the top of a hill somewhere. If the chain breaks due to poor installation, then you would curse both your lack of competence AND your lack of equipment

Tynan

Veteran
I've had two chains fail, once meant a walk and the train home, yes, I carry a splitter and a quick link or whatever it's called

Top Bottom