Pack a chain tool!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alp1950

I don't always carry a chain tool when riding but for some reason thought I would bring one along on the Sunday run today. Just as well because 15 miles down the road the chain broke. Took less time than changing a p*re to remove the broken link & shorten the chain & we were soon off again. Had I not had the tool it would have been a long wet walk back to civilization!

So how many people routinely carry a chain tool on (longish) runs?

Dewi

Veteran
I do now - after a long walk last time the chain went...

The trouble is I keep finding 'essential' tools to add. The latest is a socket (14mm I think) after the peddle arm came loose on a bike a friend was riding on a little group outting. It was 20 miles back to the cars on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of nowhere - fortunatley the local RNLI station was open and they were happy to fix it :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I have a multitool with allen keys and a chain tool in my seat pack along with the spare tube and p*ncture repair stuff. The last time my chain went I was going uphill and had a clipless moment while trying to work out what had happened :smile:

jimboalee

Bike parts fail for two reasons.

1/ they are defective, in which case return it with the receipt to th eplac eit was bought.

2/ the owner has assembled it or installed it incorrectly.

I have never seen a chain 'break' due to being defective. A 1/2" rollerchain can pick up the front of a motorcar, and human legs cannot generate that much tension.

davefb

Guru
had chain fail on one of my early outings.

it was also just after i'd bought my 'allen key multitool' and decided to not bother with the integrated chaintool...... DOH! luckily just 3miles pretending to ride a 'obby 'orse..

i'm guessing i didnt fix it right, as it failed within 3 miles ( got very muddy/oily hands, but not too bad to fix :smile: )... but so far, has been okay ( TOUCH WOOD!!!!)..

i'm blaming the fact i go thru mud as the chain was a right mess, though also i know i was changing down on the hill under pressure.. first time in a field ( due to friends lack of navigational skills) and second thru some horrid offroad bit whilst searching for ncn 6 :smile: .

its also possible the bike didnt have 'appropriate' lube from the shop ???

obviously after that, yes i carry a chain tool :smile:

jimboalee

Is it an 8, 9 or 10 chain?

They don't like being joined with a chain tool. The rivet shaves the ID of the plate and there is not a solid fit.

Split with chaintool to correct length and join with Quicklink.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Had to use mine on a kids bike when out with pupils on an activity day ride a few years back. I've never had problem with my chains (will now though I spose :whistle: ) but found it useful to have as much kit as poss when being responsible for getting kids back safely on a ride. Only had 1 pupil who had to be rescued with the school mini bus. We checked the kids bike first but that could only be a quick visual check, for excessive play on chain, pedals, derailleurs and a brake check. You can never be sure the level of maintanance on others bikes.

Davidc

Guru

They don't like being joined with a chain tool. The rivet shaves the ID of the plate and there is not a solid fit.

I carry the SRAM links in my toolkit, and once checked I could fit one easily, but as you say above, there's no good reason for a chain in good nick to break. I've never managed to make the Shimano joining links work.

For years I've joined new 7 and 8 speed chains by pushing in rivets with a chain tool and have never had a problem, neither have other people I know who do the same. With the 9 and 10 speed I'll agree, having come across 2 chains which have failed after being joined with the original rivets. Shimano supply a proper rivet for insertion with a tool into their 9 and 10 speed chains, but pliers are needed to snap off the end bits which are left after insertion. A power link has to be easier to use out on the road.

dodgy

1/ they are defective, in which case return it with the receipt to th eplac eit was bought.

Not much help if you're stranded 30 miles from home. Oh, and good look with your refund.

I have never seen a chain 'break' due to being defective. A 1/2" rollerchain can pick up the front of a motorcar, and human legs cannot generate that much tension.

There was a spate of KMC X10 chains breaking last year, huge thread on Bikeradar with accompanying photos. The side plates were fracturing on them.

So they do break, which is one of the reasons I have always carried a chain tool, the other reason is that I may have installed it incorrectlly. Installation errors are extremely rare these days, most savvy people are using KMC and SRAM reusable links.

davefb

Guru

hmm , 7 speed , KMC Z51 ( according to dawes website :smile: )

ahh okay, so i should get one of those quicklinks then :smile:..

is there variation in chains? or are they much of a muchness if i get a branded and stick with the 'right' length??

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

2/ the owner has assembled it or installed it incorrectly.

Well, how did I predict that a mate was about to explode his chain then?

He was a bodybuilder with massively powerful legs. He was in a stupidly high gear and forcing the cranks round on a hill and I was in the process of warning him when he ripped the chain apart. He actually tore one of the plates apart with his brute strength. (Perhaps he was strong enough to lift the front of a car! ;))

Top Bottom