Packable waterproof jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes pertex still in use, though more usually seen in mountaineering gear. If you want something in a pocket for possible light showers then a gilet with mesh back does the job. Particularly if you run hot.

I never wear waterproofs on bike in rain, even prolonged heavy downpours. A good windproof and wicking liner keeping you drier than boil in the bag waterproof shells. I do run warm.

Juliansou

I was asking myself a similar question recently. Have you considered a gilet? For warmer weather (basically all seasons bar winter) I find it the best option if I get caught in a shower - not that bothered about wet arms as they dry off quickly. A gilet will keep your core dry & you eliminate much of the ‘boil in the bag’ effect. You can pick one up relatively cheaply (starting at £20 ish) & being a smaller garment it will pack down well.

kenmiles

Got this from Merlin cycles three years ago and have found it very good.
AL22PONV1M1Altura Podium Night Vision Waterproof Cycling Jacket - Blue / Black / Medium56,99

AlanW

Guru
Another vote for the Gore C5 Shakedry, simply outstanding to be honest. I wore mine in anger for the first time last Sunday in what I can only describe as monsoon conditions. 100% bone dry and I was only wearing a short sleeve top, so I was really expecting it to stick to my skin, but no. My arms were bone dry and the 10 miles we covered in the monsoon was ridden at a decent pace, so I really expected it to be like a boil in the bag, but nope. Very impressed with it

I’ve got an older version of this. Packs into a little pouch. Assume it would fit in a jersey pocket (I don’t carry anything like that, can’t bear having bulky things next to my back!)
It probably is a bit boil in the bag, I’m not a great sweater though and for me that’s better than getting cold and wet.
Maybe similar to the one @Lozz360 mentions

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rcr-ultralight-packable-showerproof-jacket/_/R-p-305439
Another thumbs up for this jacket - it's not perfect but for the money it's a pretty good option. Mine's 3 years old and going strong still.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All I can say, either mega bucks or you will boil in the bag. I just opt for the decathlon race type waterproofs.

So long as you are warm enough, that's the key.

Quite a few of my soft shells will repel light rain enough - these are winter weight jerseys, so the waterproof only comes out if it's really heavy and I'm likely to get cold.

Summer same waterproof or an ultralight waterproof - just enough for a shower.

When I commuted it was just the cheap race waterproof and accepted I needed to slow down a little.

Your legs/feet/bum are still going to get wet. :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Another vote for decathlon bright fluro yellow packable here. Although unless its cold, happy to soldier on and get a bit wet. as i predominately ride for pleasure, I try to avoid rain if possible.
I have a pro vis Gilet that I used to use when commuting both for night visibility and its ability to turn a shower and more. That can be a tad sweaty if going full gas though.

Montane do a bunch of featherweight pertex type jackets that are not waterproof.
Almost none of the hiking jackets have all round reflective piping which is a useful feature. There seems to an iron curtain between jackets made for hiking and for cycling with almost no dual use ones. The hiking ones are always for "mountain marathons" usually in black, and the cycling ones MUST have a rear pocket and no hood of any type

yello

As indicated already by many experienced opinions, waterproof/breathable is holy grail stuff. Imo and experience, it's a personal, trial and error journey. Take all suggestions and recommendations as pointers but don't expect them to work for you. You can quickly end up with a wardrobe full of rain jackets if you're not careful.

FWIW, I'll add my tuppence. I run hot and I accept that I'm going to get wet when it rains, and I prefer that to clammy sweat wet. I have a very lightweight Montaine stuffable that keeps light drizzle out but will not withstand downpours, I'll take that with me if the weather looks iffy. The most 'sophisticated' I have is an excellent Craft rain jacket that cost more and works better at keeping me dry in heavy rain but I get a little warm if I up the pace.

Somewhere between the two is my answer. But frankly, I've run out of money to find THE answer so, as I said, I accept getting wet. :smile:

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
I'm not a commuter (much) hence the suggestion of having a lightweight jacket that can be rolled up and stuffed into a jersey pocket.
The Gore jackets are indeed the "dogs" but "how much?" as we say in Yorkshire! :rolleyes:
The Castelli I already have packs away neat and tidy in the back pocket but does boil up, mainly on my arms when riding in short sleeves which leads me to investigate the possibility of a gilet. Never thought of that! :okay:

Top Bottom