Packable waterproof jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another vote for Pertex here (I can buy 3 for the price of my Shakedry!)
Montane still use it, but don't seem to advertise their bike jackets anymore :sad:
https://montane.com/pages/pertex
Google may still find a Montane Featherlight/Velo

I don't agree that Pertex "isn't waterproof"; you can look at the science* if you like! But it works best with a thin layer underneath, and when you are generating a little body-heat yourself. Way more breathable than every other fabric I've used, including older/standard Goretex.

*Very few materials are totally waterproof - they resist different pressures of fluid.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If you want waterproof (rather than resistant), breathable, and packable, Shakedry is the best, by some margin.
Standard price is around £220, but if you keep an eye out, you can sometimes find offers down to half that.
I got one of these: https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/und6299/under-armour-accelerate-gore~tex-long-jacket/? (£120), which still shows available in S & M, though I wouldn't be sure that would actually carry through to a delivered order, as I bought some time ago.

Pertex (like Goretex) is these days a marketing brand that's applied to a range of different materials, so "pertex is waterproof" and "pertex isn't waterproof" are both true statements. Original pertex, from Perseverance Mill in Padiham, wasn't waterproof, and made no claim to be so.

Pertex (like Goretex) is these days a marketing brand that's applied to a range of different materials, so "pertex is waterproof" and "pertex isn't waterproof" are both true statements. Original pertex, from Perseverance Mill in Padiham, wasn't waterproof, and made no claim to be so.
But doesn't Pertex actively wick the water out from the hydrophobic (water hating) inside to the hydrophilic (water loving) outside so if water comes in (or your sweat) just passes back out? I can imagine in a really heavy downpour the transmission might be slower than inflow but eventually you'd dry out (literally!).

All i can say is my pertex karrimor was fine until the rain became heavy or persistant. Then i would change over to heavier waterproof, tho preferred the pertex.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But doesn't Pertex actively wick the water out from the hydrophobic (water hating) inside to the hydrophilic (water loving) outside so if water comes in (or your sweat) just passes back out? I can imagine in a really heavy downpour the transmission might be slower than inflow but eventually you'd dry out (literally!).

You are likely thinking of Sympatex. Pertex in its base form has no coatings or chemical properties like that. It’s achieves what it achieves through the fabric weaves. There are also different versions, some double layer and some single etc. You may be thinking of Pertex Shield , though that’s moving away from the original philosophy.

Waterproofs rely on a barrier but that works both ways. Water (from sweat) inside a waterproof has no escape.

If water egress exceeds water ingress you’ll be comfortable and waterproofs aren’t the only way to try and achieve that balance in rain when exercising.

yello

investigate the possibility of a gilet. Never thought of that! :okay:

Gillets are 'wear' it's at man! In all seriousness, a sound investment. Horses for courses obviously, but a gillet will keep the important bits warm and dry and are more easily packable/stuffable.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm not a commuter (much) hence the suggestion of having a lightweight jacket that can be rolled up and stuffed into a jersey pocket.
The Gore jackets are indeed the "dogs" but "how much?" as we say in Yorkshire! :rolleyes:
The Castelli I already have packs away neat and tidy in the back pocket but does boil up, mainly on my arms when riding in short sleeves which leads me to investigate the possibility of a gilet. Never thought of that! :okay:
Which Castelli jacket do you have? The Squadra is just like a plastic bag with no breathability at all, but higher up the range they are pretty good. If you are judging all jackets on the squadra then you may not need to go as fancy as a shakedry.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Which Castelli jacket do you have? The Squadra is just like a plastic bag with no breathability at all, but higher up the range they are pretty good. If you are judging all jackets on the squadra then you may not need to go as fancy as a shakedry.
Yep, got the Squadra! Packs up small, a good top layer, but as you state, is like a plastic bag! :sad:

Top Bottom