Packing for a tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scott8147

Regular
I have been reading many of the posts about suggestions of what to take when touring. It seems that if I took all the great suggestions, I would have to be followed by someone in a van. I am new to touring. Have only done a couple of two days years and years ago. I am planning a two month tour, but staying in motels so no need for camping stuff. Would appreciate any suggestions on what you think I absolutely, positively cannot leave with out.

Tent? :rolleyes:

If you're staying in motels for two months, that's going to mean a big budget and far less flexibility, but if that suits you, that's all that matters.

You need to mention when and where you'll be touring: seasons and foreign lands make a difference to what you should take. Also if you're relying on technology or maps for orientation. And how are your bike repairing skills?

Let us know and we can offer more advice.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Staying in B&Bs, I take (including the clothes I wear):
- 4 x t-shirts, boxers, socks (do laundry every 3 days)
- Second pair of shorts
- Cycle cap (one as it can be washed at night and dries quicky)
- Waterproofs (jacket and trousers, trousers also acting as cold-weather leg wear)
- Cold-weather clothes (thin jumper, thick jumper, thermal shirt, thin gloves, thick gloves, waterproof cap)
- Pair of trousers for evening (worn with next day's clean clothes)
- Toiletries
- GPS, MacBook Air, iPad, camera, USB hub & cables to charge gadgets (Mac as I blog trips as I go)
- Paper maps (GPS as primary navigation, but paper maps better for an overview of the route)
- Spare tube & very basic tools (hit a bike shop for anything significant)
- Passport & travel insurance certificate

All that fits into two panniers (25 litres total).

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
A credit card with a very large spending allowance firstly if you are staying in motels.

I'm currently packing for my month long tour starting Wednesday. I am female so reserve the right to have more than is necessary:tongue:

Take "Technical" clothes not cotton. Cotton can take an age to dry .

Waterproof jacket and trousers.

Take a credit card, a book to read and zero connectivity devices or gadgets with batteries. Then you'll experience total freedom.
I know where you are coming from but a Kindle can be handy - multiple books can be preloaded - lots of free samples can be downloaded from free wifi available all over the place - recharging issues minimal to non-existent, particularly if the OP is staying in B&Bs etc.

I know where you are coming from but a Kindle can be handy - multiple books can be preloaded - lots of free samples can be downloaded from free wifi available all over the place - recharging issues minimal to non-existent, particularly if the OP is staying in B&Bs etc.
Naah! One more thing to worry about to get waterproof. Just buy some pulp fiction paperbacks along the route and leave them behind when they've served their purpose. A Kindle comes with cords and chargers too.

I am female so reserve the right to have more than is necessary:tongue:

Me touring on my own

P2288405.jpg

Touring with the wife

P6216321.jpg

OP
OP
S

Scott8147

Regular
Lots of good input so far. To follow up on some questions and comments: I'm planning to ride from early Sept to early Nov; route is in the US from coastal NC to San Diego - so basically a southern route; riding limited to basically 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM so nothing in the dark; will definitely carry I-phone for GPS help & planning as I go; also taking Nook (like a Kindle) - have to have something to read at night & can also use for Wifi. What bike tools or supplies should I take?

Top Bottom