Padded Shorts Question..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

koro

Hi,

As it was my first time wearing lycra ( a self conscious male) I bought a pair from Aldi, took me awhile to pluck up the courage to wear them... the pad in them looked good quality, but is very large. After about 10 miles I get the feeling that the pad is kinda generating heat, which I think is leading to me getting the numb nuts feeling. Would an oversize pad do this, if Iwere to spend more on a pair of shorts would it more likey to have a smaller pad and dissipate the heat?

After doing 50 miles tonight, the numb nuts is hurting..

I tilted the seat down, by the way, from level in the hope of sorting out the problem, but I think a lot of it is to do with the waterbottle pad...

Cheers

toekneep

It's a tricky one but generally speaking I would pay as much as you can afford for good quality shorts. I have several pairs but always pick out the 'best' ones for longer rides. They are mega expensive, just Lusso ones with a really good pad.

OP
OP
koro

koro

toekneep said:
It's a tricky one but generally speaking I would pay as much as you can afford for good quality shorts. I have several pairs but always pick out the 'best' ones for longer rides. They are mega expensive, just Lusso ones with a really good pad.

With these expensive shorts do you feel a build up of heat in the pad?

Cheers

toekneep

No in a word. But I must apologise for my typo. I meant to say "they aren't mega expensive". Sorry about that. You do ride on a Brooks Saddle don't you? :smile:

OP
OP
koro

koro

toekneep said:
No in a word. But I must apologise for my typo. I meant to say "they aren't mega expensive". Sorry about that. You do ride on a Brooks Saddle don't you? :biggrin:

Thanks, lol... my butt is usually good on what ever saddle it sits on, I am using the stock Defy 2 saddle. I dont really want to get into the circle of trying tofind that elusive saddle, I am sure with proper shorts and setup, I will be fine, well I hope ...

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I've got a Brookes saddle, Aldi ahorts and not had any problems with heating up the nethers. I also have a pair of Tenn bib shorts and find these extremely comfy and they are well cheap:biggrin:. I've got a pair of their baggy shorts too but not got around to trying them yet. In the baggies the pad is furry so that might be an interesting riding experience;).

Chrisc

Guru
It can be down to so many things besides shorts or saddle itself. Seat angle, (mine is only down a little because there's a pronounced hump at the front). Seat height, my saddle nearly went in the bin till I dropped it 6mm and it became magically comfortable. Bar height, leaning forward more than you can manage. Frame size, same thing, too stretched out putting pressure on the wrong bits. Bike fitting takes a while to dial in assuming you have the right size frame on the first place. Lots to check and adjust, one at a time before you find out what the problem really is.

SimonC

I would drop the saddle slightly, since you got some extra thickness from the pad, and maybe it wants tilting fwd slightly.

Not to beat around the bush, your b***ocks will be in a different position relative to the saddle now you have got padded shorts, so some adjustment should be expected.

+1 to Lusso shorts as an earlier poster mentioned also. Long legs in them, so they dont look like hotpants.;)

OP
OP
koro

koro

Hi,

ianturner
No not wearing underwear, but am considering a jock strap to perhaps keep things out of the way...

ChrisC
Setting up the bike is a real pain, I am not able to get out very often, so want to give it a blast when the opportunity arrises. I have been surprised that what works for 30 miles is so different at 50..Will try lowering the seat a little (5mm), but am paranoid of not messing my knees up...My knees were my biggest worry taking up cycling, but have been no trouble at all, 50 miles feel really good.

Do you adjust when on a ride when something starts to hurt,or is that to late to make a real difference?

Setting up the bike, in which order would you make the adjustments? ie Seat/handlebars/stem or whichever..

Would a gel pad be any better at lessening the heat build up, bearing in mind I have only had the Aldi pair to use?

The lower left back pain I can ride through..

Cheers for everyones help

e-rider

crappy member
koro said:
Hi,

ianturner
No not wearing underwear, but am considering a jock strap to perhaps keep things out of the way...

ChrisC
Setting up the bike is a real pain, I am not able to get out very often, so want to give it a blast when the opportunity arrises. I have been surprised that what works for 30 miles is so different at 50..Will try lowering the seat a little (5mm), but am paranoid of not messing my knees up...My knees were my biggest worry taking up cycling, but have been no trouble at all, 50 miles feel really good.

Do you adjust when on a ride when something starts to hurt,or is that to late to make a real difference?

Setting up the bike, in which order would you make the adjustments? ie Seat/handlebars/stem or whichever..

Would a gel pad be any better at lessening the heat build up, bearing in mind I have only had the Aldi pair to use?

The lower left back pain I can ride through..

Cheers for everyones help

I would say 2mm at a time

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I wouldn't ride through any pain. I adjust to get a more comfortable position. Sitting in the same position for any length of time will cause some form of discomfort. Even in the car I move a little to ease legs, back, neck, hands on wheel etc. If something is burning or as one of your other threads says you also are getting numb in the nethers you will need to make some changes.
Is your move to lycra with inserts a move to avoid the numbness? Has this worked for you. If it has maybe a little less padding may help.
Extra gel, IMO, can ften have the opposite result to what you would expect.
Try moving seat a little, go out for a ride, how does it feel?

OP
OP
koro

koro

guitarpete247 said:
I wouldn't ride through any pain. I adjust to get a more comfortable position. Sitting in the same position for any length of time will cause some form of discomfort. Even in the car I move a little to ease legs, back, neck, hands on wheel etc. If something is burning or as one of your other threads says you also are getting numb in the nethers you will need to make some changes.
Is your move to lycra with inserts a move to avoid the numbness? Has this worked for you. If it has maybe a little less padding may help.
Extra gel, IMO, can ften have the opposite result to what you would expect.
Try moving seat a little, go out for a ride, how does it feel?

My wife got some Endura FS260, and loves them, I on rides of upto 30 miles with her, wore running trousers with underpants. A little sore, at the end, summer came along and I thought I would get some shorts, hence the Lycra Aldi`s. My first pair and to be honest not impressed, I didn`t get the numbness before, but was cycling a lot slower, ie able to move around more. As regards to making an adjustment, how far do I need to ride to see if it helps?

The gel pads, I guess offer the same as a gel sadle, not always the comfiest option..

Dinks

I ride a B17 with dhb bib shorts on a Thorn Audax Mk 3. Took a while to get the saddle position right. Don't be afraid to stop on a ride to do minor adjustments. You could try a seatpost which has very fine adjustment stages.

HAve alook at this link:

http://www.cptips.com/saddle.htm

Top Bottom