Padded shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roger

Veteran
Recommend me some 'high' mileage shorts, doing JOGLE in August and starting to suffer saddle sores on training rides over 50 miles, had bike fit and have tried various creams, using a Charge Spoon saddle.

hoopdriver

Guru
I've used Assos shorts and they were quite nice - quite expensive too. Generally I don't worry about padded shorts and have never had any problems. Are you sure your saddle is right for you? I know saddles are very much a matter of personal preference and trial and error, but have you worked out that the Charge Spoon is really your optimal seat?

Last edited:

adscrim

Veteran
Recommend me some 'high' mileage shorts, doing JOGLE in August and starting to suffer saddle sores on training rides over 50 miles, had bike fit and have tried various creams, using a Charge Spoon saddle.

Are you actually getting saddle sores or are you sore when in the saddle?

Saddle sores may be an issue with bacteria in the pad and could be solved by any new shorts.

For what it's worth, I've always had a good relationship with the Endura FS260 range (both pro and pro SL).

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you make changes, make them soon and get used to them. Some of the problem is likely to be getting used to distance—building the callouses.

hoopdriver

Guru
A big plus on getting set early - and also: don't waste your time asking for recommendations for a saddle. It would be useless. What is wonderful for me might well be torture for you, and vice versa. Finding the right saddle is like the Holy Grail and can be done only by trial and error. We are all different - different weigh, sizes, riding style, experience, different sit bones, etc. I have happily used the same make and model saddle for over thirty years and wouldn't consider anything else but I won't even bother telling you what it is - it could easily be the most useless recommendation imaginable, for you.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have 2 charge Spoon saddles hanging on my wall and have changed to Charge Pan. I prefer it.

Are you using chamois cream?
If not. Give it a go, it may help.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Katherine

Guru
Find a bike shop near you that have a device that you sit on to measure your sit bones, often nicknamed an "arseometre". It will see if your saddle supports you in the right place and doesn't rub in the wrong places. People also try tilting the saddle up or down but you should not be getting sore anywhere after a bike fit.
I use Endura shorts, I have done a hundred miles in them. I have also done a hundred miles in the luxury range of shorts from sports direct!

adscrim

Veteran
More often an ill-fitting saddle, isn't it? More discussion of this recently at https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bum-protection.219103/
I don't think so. Saddle sores and saddle soreness are very different things IMO, hence the question. The former is often an infected hair follicle or a boil and in the most extreme cases can cause even hardened pros to quite races. The latter is probably down to an ill fitting saddle/set-up/shorts (underwear?) combo.

I'm sure an ill fitting saddle could be a contributory factor to saddle sores but if the OP isn't actually getting them they don't need to worry about the other causes of them.

I've experienced bouts of saddle sores in the past and have not change my set-up. I've assumed that it relates to the pad not being cleaned properly in the washing machine and soaking shorts in an antibacterial sports wash normally does the trick.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't think so. Saddle sores and saddle soreness are very different things IMO, hence the question. The former is often an infected hair follicle or a boil and in the most extreme cases can cause even hardened pros to quite races.
Please, go argue that on the other discussion... but I think even infection-based sores can only spread because you're pressing a disgusting sweat-absorbing not-particularly-soft pad against your skin in an attempt to compensate for an ill-fitting saddle - I know that's not a popular view on this forum, though.

Top Bottom