Paging CC Ecosse - Mull and Moidart rides, first week of Sept, 2016?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
I doubt that would be a problem, as Colin says bikes are just strapped together on the car deck - going to/from Islay with 8 of us on 3 different ferries we never had an issue.

fimm

Veteran
The road and railway from Fort William to Mallaig have been blocked by a landslide. I'm on my phone so I will leave you to search for more details.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The road and railway from Fort William to Mallaig have been blocked by a landslide. I'm on my phone so I will leave you to search for more details.
Drat! Thanks for that news - I was on the phone to my sister yesterday and she said that she and several other family members had been planning a day trip on the steam train.

Ah, I just checked ... the line should reopen in a couple of days!

I am hoping that one of them will drop me and my bike off at the ferry on their drive to Fort William and pick me up on their way back.

Hopefully they'll have a better experience than I, but I didn't enjoy the steam train at all. Amazing scenery, but the carriages are dirty and noisy, can barely see out the windows because they are so dirty. Better to watch the train passing and do the route via Scotrail (or bike ;))

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hopefully they'll have a better experience than I, but I didn't enjoy the steam train at all. Amazing scenery, but the carriages are dirty and noisy, can barely see out the windows because they are so dirty. Better to watch the train passing and do the route via Scotrail (or bike ;))
Hmm, that doesn't sound great! :whistle: I didn't realise that conventional trains run on that line too.

Hmm, that doesn't sound great! :whistle: I didn't realise that conventional trains run on that line too.
Tripadvisor reviews for it are largely overwhelmingly positive, and it's well documented that I'm a negative nancy, so YMMV!
Peering at the viaduct for 30 seconds through a murky window didn't really give the full Hogwarts Express vibe. Amazing to watch the train passing through, though - we saw it at Neptune's staircase and it was spectacular, and there were groups of people standing by the side of the road watching and waving.

There were several classes of carriage, we were in standard class (still ~£70!) I imagine if you had your own compartment it would be a lot better!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I was just looking at the Jacobite Express prices. About £34 for standard class return, which I imagine is what my family members would choose since they are not exactly well off!

The ordinary train costs about £14 off peak day return or £19 any time day return.

Fubar

Guru
Woo woo! :biggrin:

image.jpeg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It looks okay for me to borrow my cousin's bike. I don't have direct contact with that cousin (we have only met once - we are actually second cousins) - I am going through his brother who says that he will check the bike out for me. I already know that the tyres on the bike are perished so I will donate a couple of new ones by way of thanks.

I am still hoping to do the Moidart ride from Corran and may do it with my cousin if he can get a day off work. He will only want to do that if the forecast is ok. That ride would take place on one of the 3 days Mon 5th Sept-Wed 7th. It will probably be an evening before decision. I'll try to post details on the off chance that somebody wants to join us, but my Internet access may be restricted.

I'll do my best to report on my Scottish rides while I am up there but if the Internet access is too bad then I will wait until I get home.

The Mull ride is approaching rapidly - let's keep our fingers crossed for fine weather!

Fubar

Guru
It looks okay for me to borrow my cousin's bike. I don't have direct contact with that cousin (we have only met once - we are actually second cousins) - I am going through his brother who says that he will check the bike out for me. I already know that the tyres on the bike are perished so I will donate a couple of new ones by way of thanks.

I am still hoping to do the Moidart ride from Corran and may do it with my cousin if he can get a day off work. He will only want to do that if the forecast is ok. That ride would take place on one of the 3 days Mon 5th Sept-Wed 7th. It will probably be an evening before decision. I'll try to post details on the off chance that somebody wants to join us, but my Internet access may be restricted.

I'll do my best to report on my Scottish rides while I am up there but if the Internet access is too bad then I will wait until I get home.

The Mull ride is approaching rapidly - let's keep our fingers crossed for fine weather!

A repeat of today's :sun: would be fantastic!!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A repeat of today's :sun: would be fantastic!!
My cousin emailed me and said that he had been out and done a long ride to make the most of it!

No doubt you and Ed will know what to expect, but it could come as a bit of a shock to soft northerners like me and Colin.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk714day;page=2;ct=20593~Island of Mull;sess=
I think that they would probably see us as 'soft southerners'! :okay:

It always amazes me that there is another 250 km of (mainland) Scotland to the north of Oban. As a child, I used to think of Oban as being 'the far north' ...

Top Bottom