Paging CC Ecosse - Mull and Moidart rides, first week of Sept, 2016?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
I would be mighty peeved if somebody told me that I was off my own topic! :okay:

I agree about most forecasts. Occasionally we get a very stable weather system sitting over the UK with weather unchanging for a week or more. I'd trust longer range forecasts then, but when the weather is fast-changing, the forecast only has to be out by a few hours to be useless!

As for 'pancake flat' ...

View attachment 141535

If my pancakes looked like that, I'd be complaining to the pancake chef! :laugh:

It's a stack of pancakes... :biggrin:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is THIS the circuit of Mull you are planning to do @ColinJ ?
I would reckon that to be somewhere at the limits of my capabilities regarding climbing/distance in a day, but I might be up for it as I have some time off this coming week (but plan "A" is to head for Ireland on the motorised bicycle :tongue:, weather dependent!). Sooooo; is there a definite date/time for the commencement of the Mull ride?
No, the route is as shown here ...

shorter-mull-loop-route-png.130161.png

(Most of it is the same, but we are taking a couple of shortcuts to avoid Tobermory, cutting the distance and climbing somewhat.)

The date is definitely Saturday, 3rd September, 2016! :okay:

There is a definite time for the start, which is when the first ferry from Oban (07:45) gets to Craignure that day which should be at 08:35.

The ride MUST finish in time to catch the last ferry back at 19:30 to arrive in Oban at 20:20. Ideally we will get back to Craignure in good time to catch the ferry before that at 18:20, arriving in Oban at 19:15.

NB We have to be ready with our tickets at the ferry ports at least 10 minutes before the sailing times!

It would be good if you could make it. If you have doubts about doing the full ride, there is a significant shortcut across the island from Gruline to Salen which cuts 45 km (28 miles) from the total, reducing it from 118 km (73 miles) to 73 km (45 miles). Pale Rider has said that he may take that if it looks like completing the full ride would take too long.

Guaranteed! (Maybe I'd better go to Ireland :laugh:).
A country well known for its arid climate! :whistle:

Absolutely! A quick comparison of the scales on the X and Y axes shows gradients of 1-2%. Many pancakes would be far steeper than that at points across their width ^_^
Yes, the average gradients are benign but I remember there being some steeper ramps which surprised me, though they didn't last long. The climbs are certainly not monstrously hard!

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Excellent! I will keep a weather eye on things; at the moment it looks like it could be, errrm, "showers". As you know, that could mean anything in Scotland - from 5 minutes of light spits, to rain of monsoon proportions broken up by periods of drizzle.

@Brandane

As Colin says, my plan is to do the southern section of the ride and take the Gruline - Salen shortcut.

That's still, I reckon, 40-odd miles of Scottish island cycling action, and the others are happy to do their extra miles and meet me at Salen.

I am quite content to do the shortcut bit on my own, but of course you are welcome to join me.

Brandane

Legendary Member
@ColinJ @Pale Rider :

Having had another look at the weather forecast for both Mull and Ireland, I have had a change of plan - I am heading the other way, to France!
The ferry is now booked for Wednesday night to St. Malo and I will be cycling round the Cotentin peninsula and wandering around Normandy for a week.

This of course means a totally dry and wind free tour of Mull for you both on Saturday; you can thank me later. Have a great ride :cheers:.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ @Pale Rider :

Having had another look at the weather forecast for both Mull and Ireland, I have had a change of plan - I am heading the other way, to France!
The ferry is now booked for Wednesday night to St. Malo and I will be cycling round the Cotentin peninsula and wandering around Normandy for a week.

This of course means a totally dry and wind free tour of Mull for you both on Saturday; you can thank me later. Have a great ride :cheers:.
Thanks for that.

Enjoy your time in France, despite taking our wind and rain with you! :hello:

@ColinJ @Pale Rider :

Bon voyage et bonne journeé!
Remember to tell locals "la pluie arrive maintenant, pour Brandane est ici!"

Fubar

Guru
Bon voyage et bonne journeé!
Remember to tell locals "la pluie arrive maintenant, pour Brandane est ici!"

Does that mean "I'm the reason it's pishin doon"?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Looking at the forecasts for Mull, I don't think that the clouds have realised that Brandane will not be there!

Serious questions ... how often do ferries get cancelled? How bad does the weather have to be? The route between Oban and Mull isn't right out in the open Atlantic but I am no sailor. I don't know how much difference that makes.

As for the bike ... I will check to see if the bike that I am borrowing has mudguards. If it doesn't then I will take the Crud Roadracers off my Basso and fit those.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Due to entirely foreseeable circumstances, my participation on Saturday is now looking less than likely :-(
:sad:

I have been having unforeseeable worries about this ride! I think it is because Fubar and Pale Rider are travelling long distances for it so I would feel really guilty if the ferries get cancelled or we get nightmarish weather. I sometimes have to postpone local forum events due to awful weather ...

Example
car_park_in_snow-jpg.20851.jpg

:laugh:

Postponement is not an option for the Mull ride though!

I'm just a worrier - it'll be fine. (Did I sound convincing there? :whistle:)

fimm

Veteran
I think it is fairly unlikely that the ferry will be cancelled for the weather. Just keep an eye on the wind forecasts. There was a yellow warning for wind up here the other week - the wind speeds were not exceptional for winter but were a bit unusual for summer. The CalMac website will have information too.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
:sad:

I have been having unforeseeable worries about this ride! I think it is because Fubar and Pale Rider are travelling long distances for it so I would feel really guilty if the ferries get cancelled or we get nightmarish weather. I sometimes have to postpone local forum events due to awful weather ...

Example
car_park_in_snow-jpg.20851.jpg

:laugh:

Postponement is not an option for the Mull ride though!

I'm just a worrier - it'll be fine. (Did I sound convincing there? :whistle:)

No need to worry.

I shall be having my weekend in Scotland whatever happens.

It is also my firm intention to cross to Mull, taking the car over is an option if the weather is really rotten - the bike will still be in the back so I can unload it over there if needs be.

The crossing is not very far, but I wonder if chucking it down in Oban automatically means it will be doing the same on the island.

We can't know that for sure until we get there, which is another reason to cross in any event.

Ferry cancellation seems most unlikely, but we'd better make sure we remember to take @Fubar's mobile since he should be on the island already.

Top Bottom