Paid Drug Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Disappointing to see the negativity here on drug trials.

Being "being pumped with drugs that have never been given to humans before". Talk about perjorative.

Unless somebody is the first person to be dosed, no new medicines would ever be developed.

Early trials are normally run on healthy volunteers, starting with a very low dose then increasing stepwise: SAD and MAD studies; "single ascending dose" and "multiple ascending dose"

A reasonable description is here https://toolbox.eupati.eu/resources/types-of-study-in-early-clinical-development/

Precisely because these trials are tightly controlled, monitoring various aspects of safety and taking many samples, staying full time in a clinical unit is normally essential.

What would be reasonable compensation for being incarcerated and sampled, and suffering side effects?

There are ethical guidelines on this, and google shows up a recent Guardian summary.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan

Being "being pumped with drugs that have never been given to humans before". Talk about perjorative.

Unless somebody is the first person to be dosed, no new medicines would ever be developed.

Early trials are normally run on healthy volunteers, starting with a very low dose then increasing stepwise: SAD and MAD studies; "single ascending dose" and "multiple ascending dose"

A reasonable description is here https://toolbox.eupati.eu/resources/types-of-study-in-early-clinical-development/

Precisely because these trials are tightly controlled, monitoring various aspects of safety and taking many samples, staying full time in a clinical unit is normally essential.

What would be reasonable compensation for being incarcerated and sampled, and suffering side effects?

There are ethical guidelines on this, and google shows up a recent Guardian summary.

Very true. I work in clinical trials in the NHS. Thousands of people each year have access to new treatments through trials run through the NHS; trials that couldn't legally go ahead without first being trialled on paid healthy volunteers.

I wouldn't do it now as Im full time employed, but if I was retired I'd give it a go. My dad used to do things like this from time to time, he'd normally get contacted asking if he was interested as met certain health conditions.

As an alternative to drugs trials I used to do market research things, £20-£30 for an hours work normally. Did one once involving testing a new type of bar beer pump, that was fun lol 😆

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My wife works in the pharma industry on trials and I'm well aware of much that you describe. But as soon as you mention trials TeGenero immediately springs to my mind. Human nature I guess. A bit like images of plane wreckage going through people's minds when jetting off on holiday.

My wife was lined up to join a trial for a covid vaccine (unpaid, I forget which) when she got her invitation for the real thing, so she declined.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Maybe we could just round up all the dole bludgers that can't be bothered to find a job and experiment on them.

I think we already covered me, thanks :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't do it now as Im full time employed, but if I was retired I'd give it a go. My dad used to do things like this from time to time, he'd normally get contacted asking if he was interested as met certain health conditions.

As an alternative to drugs trials I used to do market research things, £20-£30 for an hours work normally. Did one once involving testing a new type of bar beer pump, that was fun lol 😆

It’s normally restricted to healthy individuals under a certain age at this stage. CTs not necessarily MR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom