Pain in leg/bottom of hip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisRoberts

Hi,
I have two road bikes - one Carrerra (the Halfords version of Carrerra but it does me just fine) and an old Peugeot. I use the newer bike for road riding and outdoor training and use the Peugeot for Turbo Training. Now, over the last 4-5 weeks whenever I've used the Turbo Trainer I have developed a pain in the top of my right leg, on the outside, right at the top, sort of at the bottom of my hip. I don't know what it is or what's caused it. I get no problems on the Carrerra. Recently whilst on holiday I cycled twice around Lake Annecy - incl the Col du Bluffy - but on a hired bike and had no problems whatsover. Having returned from holiday on Monday, I cycled on the TT for 50 mins on Tuesday and the pain has returned. It's really annoying me and I need to train (I'm doing the Sevenoaks cyclo-sportive on Sept 11th). Anyway, it's quite obviously a ride position problem but I want to know whether 1) Anyone else has experienced similar pain; 2) If this pain is specific to TT; 3) How to sort it out - I realise I might need to someone to analyse my ride position but want to sort it out very soon if possible. Help - I'm worried I'm doing damage to myself.

Any advice, tips, help appreciated.

Chris

OP
OP
C

ChrisRoberts

PS If possible, I want to keep on using the Peugeot for TT as it's so much simpler given that it has a Trainer tyre fixed on it and the bike/trainer combo is a permanent fixture in my spare room.

OP
OP
C

ChrisRoberts

Thanks, I might have a fiddle with the saddle in a moment. The thing is, I've been using the same TT and the same bike for years, this is the 1st time I've ever had a problem, I don't know what's wrong or what's changed.

OP
OP
C

ChrisRoberts

It could well be a saddle issue now I think about it. Last year when I bought the Carrerra it had a Carrerra saddle. Having gone out on it twice I realised something didn't feel right, turned out that the saddle and I were not suited so I put the Selle saddle from my old Peugeot on the new bike - voila, all better. I of course then put the Carrerra saddle on the Peugeot TT bike. Perhaps that's it - time for another Selle saddle I think.

@Fossyant - don't think there's any bent pedal axles, I am going to check both bikes though, compare, contrast, measure etc.

Thanks lots for the help

On another note: Has anyone ridden around Lake Annecy? I heartily recommend it, the best cycle I've ever done - over 20km of Veloroute (out of a 40km perimeter) completely away from cars and totally devoted to cyclists. The French know how to treat cyclists! The mountain climbs around there are also fantastic - ranging from a gentle 4%ish 3-4km climb gradient through a steep proper mountain even up to 2100m high serious mountain stuff. It was so good I did the permiter twice in an afternoon - but stuck to the gentle climbs, but even these are more difficult than I'd done for a while but seemed easier ... perhaps because of the scenery/holiday atmosphere...and possibly because I let two people tow me up the hill :-)

Anyway, I totally recommend it.

Thanks again

Chris

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
It could well be a saddle issue now I think about it. Last year when I bought the Carrerra it had a Carrerra saddle. Having gone out on it twice I realised something didn't feel right, turned out that the saddle and I were not suited so I put the Selle saddle from my old Peugeot on the new bike - voila, all better. I of course then put the Carrerra saddle on the Peugeot TT bike. Perhaps that's it - time for another Selle saddle I think.

@Fossyant - don't think there's any bent pedal axles, I am going to check both bikes though, compare, contrast, measure etc.

Thanks lots for the help

On another note: Has anyone ridden around Lake Annecy? I heartily recommend it, the best cycle I've ever done - over 20km of Veloroute (out of a 40km perimeter) completely away from cars and totally devoted to cyclists. The French know how to treat cyclists! The mountain climbs around there are also fantastic - ranging from a gentle 4%ish 3-4km climb gradient through a steep proper mountain even up to 2100m high serious mountain stuff. It was so good I did the permiter twice in an afternoon - but stuck to the gentle climbs, but even these are more difficult than I'd done for a while but seemed easier ... perhaps because of the scenery/holiday atmosphere...and possibly because I let two people tow me up the hill :-)

Anyway, I totally recommend it.

Thanks again

Chris

Hope a new saddle works. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Saddles are very back side specific. If the other isn't similar to what you ride now, then you'll be in for trouble.

I state this from years of a love/HATE relationship with a Flite Ti on my best bike - used to call it an 'ass splitter'. I actually get on with it well now - I ride a similarly minimal saddle on my daily ride - you just have to make the butt fit ! :tongue:

Top Bottom