Pain in lower abdomen after cycling with drop bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had one pair of jeans where the zip caused discomfort. No idea why - they were the same make etc as all my other jeans.

OP
OP
A

aynjrz

Thank you all for your ideas. Following a couple of suggestions to change the seat angle and possibly lower the bars, I've changed the position a bit and have a picture below.

The point about the seat itself is interesting. I've always felt with it that I was falling forward a little - tilting it back was an attempt to counteract that. I don't feel securely "perched" on it. Maybe the seat just isn't suitable.

It's beginning to sound as though I should try getting a bike shop to look at what I'm doing, and possibly also test some other bikes, to get some perspective.

Globalti: I take your points - I'm still trying to decide what I want from cycling, and what I can actually do. This particular bike is actually designed for drop bars, and came with them originally when I bought it (used). I ended up having to have those swapped for something more upright due to (other) physical problems which have since improved, hence my attempt to try drops again. The unusual stem, for example, is a legacy of that. The seat, though, was on the bike when I bought it, and (I assume) was used by the previous owner with drops.

I don't want to become a racer, but liked the idea of drop bars for (eventually) riding reasonable distances at a steady, quick-ish pace.

Finally: a couple of people have suggested that something (like a belt buckle) might be poking into me when riding. I don't think this is the case - I'm not aware of this while cycling, but will try to notice when I next ride.

side_view_2.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Goodness me that looks a whole lot better! The bike will be purring.

What about seat height? Have you tried the standard test for checking height?

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Something else you can experiment with......
The saddle looks to be at the most rearward of it's adjustment.
Sliding the saddle forward on the saddle rails may or may not improve matters. Just another variable to consider.

I would advocate a basic bike fit, done by someone who knows what they are doing.
Where are you located? I would imagine some recommendations would be forthcoming from CC.

vickster

Legendary Member
Teach me to skim read :smile:
is it me or does the saddle look low and to long in the reach to the hoods?
View attachment 411967
He’s made some changes if you look at #21

vickster

Legendary Member
indeed but the saddle has been set flat which does not affect my OP regards saddle height and lowering the bars would increase reach which if he is over reaching for his preferred saddle to bar drop would be counterproductive?
Don't know which of yours posts you're referring to, doesn't matter though :smile:

OP
OP
A

aynjrz

As cybernight thought might be the case, my lowering the bars has increased the reach too much, and I think possibly it was a bit long to start with. Tilting down the seat, to make it more level, has exacerbated the feeling of being shoved off forwards - even when riding in the tops.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. As I say, I'm going to try to get advice from a local shop. I'm in Oxford, if anyone knows of a shop here that is good for bike fits. I'm also going to ask the bike shop I normally deal with for a test ride on a drop bar bike they recommend for me, to get a point of reference.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
With respect, wearing those clothes you are never going to be a "sports" cyclist and a road bike setup is not what you need. Somebody has fitted that poor bike with a rising stem and tilted the bars and hoods too far back then dropped the saddle in an attempt to make it feel more like a flat-bar roadster. That doesn't suit the bike; on a sports road bike the bars ought to be a little lower than the saddle allowing the rider to adopt a more aerodynamic position. I would suggest you go and buy a flat-bar bike, generally called a hybrid nowadays, from a proper bike shop, not a bike supermarket, that can get you properly set up with the right frame and seat height..

There's no rule that says you can only ride flat-bar bikes if you cycle in everyday clothing, or you can't be a "proper" cyclist unless you wear cycling gear. The only thing that matters is whether the clothing is comfortable and allows unimpeded body movement. I ride in jeans/everyday long trousers all the time and it isn't a problem.
As for going out and buying a new flat-bar bike, take a close look at what the OP is already riding; it's a Raleigh Gemini, which is a Reynolds 531 touring geometry frame out of Raleigh's parts pin that WAS originally built with flat bars! There's nothing to be gained from replacing the whole bike; it's a higher quality bike than any modern flat-bar hybrid. I've got one of these bikes myself (still on flat bars) and the frame is very comfortable and nice riding. I strongly suspect the main problem here is the angle of the saddle, and although some kids may have had their BMX saddles tilted back like this, it isn't a good recipe for adults using a bike for a serious purpose not just mucking around on. Set the saddle level as possible to start with and set the height roughly according to the 0.882 Lemond formula or the 1.09 formula used in Richards Bicycle Book, and it will at least be in the right ballpark.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Set the saddle level as possible to start with and set the height roughly according to the 0.882 Lemond formula or the 1.09 formula used in Richards Bicycle Book, and it will at least be in the right ballpark.

After all that calculation the saddle certainly ought to be in the right ball park!

Top Bottom