Pain is a sensation and all sensations are pleasant!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Had 4 weeks off the bike due to the weather, silly shifts and being on holiday.
This week jumped straight back into my 31 mile round trip and rather foolishly spent 6 hours each day pedalling around my patch as well.

My legs are in bits, never been so sore (didn't help having to chase some scrote on foot whilst wearing 30lbs of body armour and other items for about a mile).
So which is it? Weakness leaving the body or a rather pleasant sensation...Well, it's not pleasant but I do seem to be gaining a rather perverse sense of satisfaction that I can hardly walk let alone ride at the moment!

Chrisz

Über Member
Nothing feels quite as good as a good case of DOMS ;) :smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever
The Legend, Lance Armstrong

Garz

Squat Member
I went for a run this week to break up the turbo sessions. Only a mere 3.5 miles and I struggled to go down my steep stairs for two days of pure doms. Im sure when I was younger the pain was far milder than now..

Garz

Squat Member
I heard/read that ice baths actually didn't prove to be any better so not really worth the pain..

jimboalee

Garz said:
I heard/read that ice baths actually didn't prove to be any better so not really worth the pain..

The useful thing I've found about ice baths is they alleviate 'the sweats' after a hot shower and subsequent rush to the office.

At work, the ice bath is substituted by hanging head under stone cold shower for 20 seconds.
"The cranium is the human's radiator". :thumbsup:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Ice baths? You lot are mad!

Though there are clear differences between what Lance refers to in pushing past the pain in a competition and working anaerobically and past the lactate threshold which is painful and ignoring an actual injury - pushing past the pain barrier in running is different to aggravating and possibly making aninjury worse - pain is there for a reason - to alert us to something bad - that pain shouldn't be ignored. My ex used to be an exercise addict and serious runner- would spend 2-3 hours in the gym on free weights,circuits and then aerobic work - used to run for hours on the treadmill ignoring a grinding sensation in the left knee - that is mad, really mad.

Vike- glad to hear you're back on the bike - take it easy uh.. though walking bow legged and more slowly for the next few days is a funny payback!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
ttcycle said:
Though there are clear differences between what Lance refers to in pushing past the pain in a competition and working anaerobically and past the lactate threshold which is painful and ignoring an actual injury - pushing past the pain barrier in running is different to aggravating and possibly making aninjury worse - pain is there for a reason - to alert us to something bad - that pain shouldn't be ignored.

- just try ignoring the pain of angina, or meningitis, and see where that gets you .......

Bill Gates

youngoldbloke said:
- just try ignoring the pain of angina, or meningitis, and see where that gets you .......

These are different types of pain than those you get from training. You can't ride through pain like Angina. The severity forces you to stop. It is much greater than say the burning sensation you get from thigh muscles straining on a climb.

OP
OP
Vikeonabike

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Vike- glad to hear you're back on the bike - take it easy uh.. though walking bow legged and more slowly for the next few days is a funny payback!

Ummm what you said about aggravating an injury....not sure what I have done but pedalling is painful. I can run, walk even squat with no discomfort. However once on the bike I get acute pain in the medial side of left knee that then radiates over the whole knee. However the pain dissipates when I stand up and pedal or I spin over 100rpm. Once I get about 30 - 40 minutes in to a ride it just becomes slightly uncomfortable occasionally.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The moderate pain throbbing from my right knee can, in no way, be described as pleasant! Fortunately the knee is encased in an immobiliser split until I can get to the fracture clinic on Monday and have an mri scan to find out what ligaments are damaged.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Vikeonabike said:
Ummm what you said about aggravating an injury....not sure what I have done but pedalling is painful. I can run, walk even squat with no discomfort. However once on the bike I get acute pain in the medial side of left knee that then radiates over the whole knee. However the pain dissipates when I stand up and pedal or I spin over 100rpm. Once I get about 30 - 40 minutes in to a ride it just becomes slightly uncomfortable occasionally.

too much too soon vike that's what that sounds like- just your knee complaining about the repetitive action i think due to too much grinding or intensity. Maybe take some time off the bike and ease into it next time you're back on and keep the gearing light and the cadence high. If it persists get yourself checked out

Top Bottom