Painful hands...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
One of the most common causes of wrist pain is a maladjusted saddle. Your saddle is designed to support the greater proportion of your body weight. It can only do this effectively if it's absolutely level. If it's nose up every push on the pedals will push you backwards off it and you'll struggle to put any power down. Nose down causes your arse to creep off the front of the saddle and the only way to resist this is by pushing back off the bars. This obviously adds to the weight of your upper body which is already being transferred through your wrists. If your saddle isn't comfortable when it's absolutely flat then either you're on the wrong saddle, or it's the wrong height or your cycling shorts aren't doing their job. (Or .. your arse just needs a few more miles to toughen up).

This is the best advice on this thread. The saddle should be flat or even nose-up by a degree or two so that your pelvic bones are cupped and supported. Once you've got the saddle right you can start thinking about the bars.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Look at gloves last.

I had hand trouble wearing gloves. Then I had friction trouble not wearing gloves. I now wear non padded, leather sailing gloves and have no problems.

A lot of the long distance dont wear gloves.

Extra tape on the bars is a good idea. Saddle forward. Shorter stem.

Alan O

Über Member
As it happens, I think I've just found the cause of a sore hands problem I've been having here recently - wrong size toe clips. Yeah, I know, bear with me...

I use old-style clips and straps, and I've been feeling foot discomfort where the rear edges of my pedals have been digging into my shoe soles and putting pressure behind the balls of my feet. And I think my recent sore hands could be down to subconsciously leaning forward and putting more weight on them to take a little off my feet.

Quick inspection of my shoes led me to believe they're just getting a bit worn out. But looking more closely, I've realised that the pressure line is too far back, and it's shifting the weight-bearing focus of my feet away from the balls.

So I've swapped my clips for a shorter pair, which has shifted the pressure points on my feet forward. And so far, the foot discomfort is gone... and my hands feel better!

Top Bottom