Paint adhesion problem. How to resolve? Any paint experts here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kynikos

Veteran
It should certainly perform better than it has done but I'm not sure "I did perfect preparation before painting" is necessarily true. Recoat time on your undercoat was likely a couple of hours. With a different colour going on top it may have been sensible to leave it until the next day, at which point it will have still been a little bit tacky thus giving good adhesion. By leaving it to dry for 6-8 weeks the undercoat may have hardened off to the extent where it's no longer in an optimum state for a further coat to adhere properly - with an argument being that, after such an interval, you'd have been better to have lightly sanded the walls to provide a key.

I say this from recent experience where the second top-coat I was applying just didn't adhere as I'd inadvertently left it too long. Different paint, different manufacturer, but it was only when I read the instructions on the back of the can that I discovered:
  • Test a small area first for adhesion...
  • Adhesion: If adhesion is inadequate on previously coated surfaces, lightly sand before application.
  • Minimum of two coats required. Subsequent coats must be applied no longer than 8 hours apart.
Cue a couple or three hours sanding and cleaning down and a self-kicking.

Top Bottom