Paint coming off carbon forks. Repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
I bought a 10 + YO Willier Triestina off eBay just before Christmas and have been using it, with a pair of strap on "mudguards" which don't provide total protection to all parts, in all weather since. Will be sourcing better mudguards.

Giving it a really detailed clean this week, I noticed about 1cm of paint coming off just below the 'hole' at the back of the fork where you access the head of the Allen bolt holding the front brake on. The flaking paint starts inside that 'hole'. I'd noticed some crud had settled in there and presumably wet crud was the long term problem here.

One old thread suggested small chips can be repaired using nail varnish in a colour to match (unfortunately Bike is not Red), but I presume that's only good for a few small chips.

Before touching up any paintwork I would normally get to work with sandpaper to make sure I'd got back to the original material and taken off all loose paint. Is this a good idea with carbon? Trip to Halfords to get paint? What kind?

PS I'm learning to do my own mechanics but have never removed forks (would seem like a good idea so i can see/get right into the hole). Straight removal and refit doesn't seem that difficult?

Thanks for reading and any thoughts you share.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I should just remove any loose paint and touch it in as best you can with a matching colour. The carbon fork on my old Trek is unpainted so I don't have your problem.
If you want to drop the fork first undo and remove the top cap. Loosen the Allen bolts on the stem and it should just slide out. Putting it back is a reversal. Leave the stem loose on the steerer, centre it then use the Allen bolt in the top cap to pull the fork up snug and tighten the stem bolts.
Good luck, let us know how you go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom