Paint specks on unsealed indian sandstone patio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used to fix a lot of Indian sandstone when I was in Australia.internally and externally, The quality varied and the purchase price reflected the quality as a rule . The rule of thumb was over there to seal the stone before grouting / jointing it , reducing the porosity which in turn reduced the chances of staining during the jointing process,and or other trades working on or around the area .some were pre sealed in manufacturing if your floor was sealed during installation or pre sealed the Cuprinol should not be to difficult to remove, if it hasn’t, the stone could be quite pourous and the stain may have penetrated the material a mil or two. Be cautious with any chemicals , they can severely alter the appearance of your floor , could you post a photo or two , and if you can ask whoever laid them , or sold them about any application of a sealer ,

These slabs will have come from India in crates
I'm pretty sure they come untreated.
The fence over spray will have dried very quickly.
It will come off.

Its a patio not a kitchen floor and the qua!ity is quite poor on these slabs.
They will weather after one winter to a darker greener look.
Laid thousands of them , that said they look lovely new after a rain.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
if they were my slabs , i think i would live with it for a winter . probably no what you want to hear but whatever you do to try and get paint off now is either going to damage or discolour the slabs unless you do it all over so it doesn't stand out , a hard winter ( when it comes )will tone everything down at the same rate, if its water based paint then it will eventually be washed off - thats why you have to re-paint fences ! - just hope he covers slabs when its that time of year again

keithmac

Guru
You can buy "brick acid" but it's horrible stuff and may disolve sandstone?.

Shame he was too lazy to use a brush!, we did nearly 100 meters of featheredge front and back side with brushes.. Much better apllication and finish that the crap sprayers.

I'd be mortified if someone had painted my new patio!.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Dear All,

Thanks kindly for the suggestions. I've just bought a litre of that paint stripper and will give it a whirl this weekend. Here's the damage:

IMG_2788.JPG

Before I cycled to work this morning, I experimented with a wee blob of el cheapo stripper that was left over from doing the window sill last december. It didn't remove the spot entirely but faded it, so chemical reaction happened. I'm encouraged by that.

Must be possible since a few years ago some nutter vandalised the Avebury stones with paint. My neighbour said she'd pay for any professional cleaning.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That's a tricky one. It's borderline almost unnoticeable if faded/weathered in, or will play on your nerves every time you sit outside and look at it for years to come!

I hope the culprit has been dragged into the street and birched for all to see and as a warning to others that might be so stupidly inconsiderate?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Dear All,

Thanks kindly for the suggestions. I've just bought a litre of that paint stripper and will give it a whirl this weekend. Here's the damage:

View attachment 419752

Before I cycled to work this morning, I experimented with a wee blob of el cheapo stripper that was left over from doing the window sill last december. It didn't remove the spot entirely but faded it, so chemical reaction happened. I'm encouraged by that.

Must be possible since a few years ago some nutter vandalised the Avebury stones with paint. My neighbour said she'd pay for any professional cleaning.

That's not too bad at all ,I think you'll be fine with washing powder and a green scourer..or any washing detergent

ozboz

Guru
It is possible it will come off the stones ok , the grout/jointing may prove different , still a real p’’’’’’’r all round ,
I installed a lap wing fence on my first house many years ago , a lovely golden colour , the nieghbour cried skint so I bought it , installed it looked great , until I came home one night to discover he’d took it upon himself to creosote his side , it all ran down the flitches , looked a right mess I could of strangled the twonk !!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's a bit worse nearer the fence where the speckles are denser. I expect it'll be a few hours work this weekend... for the neighbour's lad
It's worth a try. A few hours on his hands and knees might make him think twice next time :rolleyes:

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

[QUOTE 5316079, member: 45"]It'll wear out in time.[/QUOTE]
Possibly, but I need to seal it before winter. Graffiti on the B2B path is wearing off but it does have the advantage of hundreds of bike tires going over it every day!. I wonder if all cyclechat members wouldn't mind riding around my patio for several weeks?....:laugh:

winston101

Dear All,

View attachment 419752

Hi did you manage to clean the paint off your sandstone? I have managed to get white paint specs on mine!

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Hi did you manage to clean the paint off your sandstone? I have managed to get white paint specs on mine!

Its been a very long slow process involving paint stripper, hand sanding although I did buy a sander eventually!. Basically, sand it dry to scratch the flecks which allows the stripper to get into them. Apply stripper for about an hour. Clean off with hot water/patio cleaner, repeat if necessary (I pressure wash it). This worked but it took ages...I literally had 30 sections to do in a circular patio. I have a sandstone patio, so check if your stone is okay with the stripper. If you have sandstone, avoid anything acidic as it'll react with the stone and you'll ruin it (it basically stains red/brown).

Top Bottom