Painting an MDF loft hatch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
HI all,
I recently had my loft hatch replaced with a ladder(ed) one but I could not re-use the old hatch. So now I have a dull brown hatch in my white ceiling.
As its made of MDF, google tells me I need to prime then paint, but do i also need an undercoat? Probably do not need much paint.
thanks

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Undercoat’s not used so often these days. I think its purpose is to provide coverage more cheaply than a glossy top coat, so that you don’t need so much gloss.

If you’re using white primer, use two coats, sanding lightly between them. Sand lightly again (just to de-nib), then gloss.

If you have grey or pink primer, you might need an extra coat of the white, but that’s probably cheaper than buying three separate tins (primer, undercoat, gloss).

If possible, I’d suggest removing the door and putting it flat on a table or something rather than trying to paint it overhead. Avoid non-drip glosses; just use thin coats of “professional” gloss, rubbing down with fine wet-and-dry paper used wet between coats, and leaving each gloss coat to dry for a couple of days before touching it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
just keep applying coats of white emulsion until you are happy with coverage and then pop it back up there when dry

newts

Veteran
The brown tends to bleed through on mdf
A couple of coats of zinsser 123 primer, make sure each coat is fully dried before applying the next. Followed by 2 coats of satin/gloss finish & all will be good👍

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Undercoat’s not used so often these days. I think its purpose is to provide coverage more cheaply than a glossy top coat, so that you don’t need so much gloss.

If you’re using white primer, use two coats, sanding lightly between them. Sand lightly again (just to de-nib), then gloss.

If you have grey or pink primer, you might need an extra coat of the white, but that’s probably cheaper than buying three separate tins (primer, undercoat, gloss).

If possible, I’d suggest removing the door and putting it flat on a table or something rather than trying to paint it overhead. Avoid non-drip glosses; just use thin coats of “professional” gloss, rubbing down with fine wet-and-dry paper used wet between coats, and leaving each gloss coat to dry for a couple of days before touching it.
Blimey, that'll give it a better finish than a Rolls-Royce :becool:

You'll have people coming from all over Northamptonshire to see it @Maherees :smile:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
MDF is much more absorbent, esp on the edges, than wood. Hence you need a special primer, either Zinsser 123 as mentioned above, or similar. If you use a normal primer you run the chance of things swelling. Some people get away with it, but you may be unlucky.

I would just use Zinsser BIN, couple of coats with a roller and leave it. never used Zinsser 123 but am guessing its similiar?

If hinges are fixed, dont remove them from mdf, the screw holes are not as durable as wooden material. Remove them from the door frame which is what I do with any door.

presta

Guru
I wouldn't dream of painting anything without primer, undercoat and top coat, single coat painting looks atrocious. At best it looks thin and watery, at worst every little blemish and flake in the old paint stick out like a sore thumb. Dulux primer, top coat and undercoat are a total of 225 microns thick, compared with 83 microns for one coat of single coat gloss.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Water based primer, sand, gloss, sand, gloss.

Gloss preferably with roller for smoother finish.

If using brush, might need third coat to hide inconsistency.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've used Zinsser with great success on furniture and pine fitted wardrobes but I haven't tried on MDF. I did though have to paint two large MDF cupboards. There are specific paints for MDF, I suggest you pop in to a local independent paint shop and get advice. MDF is very absorbent.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Thanks all. I will need to paint it soon (in the cold).as the loft had a Wasps nest which I had to get professionally removed in the autumn.
I suppose I only need to paint one side but prime both?

Top Bottom