Pair of 1980s steel framed bikes

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by Julia9054, 10 Sep 2016.

1. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Über Member

Two very nice bikes. But at 5ft 4inches I think they are going to be too big, even with a shorter stem.You have relatively long legs so a short torso therefore you will be overreaching. They look like 23" frames to me.

Illaveago and Liz Su like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

You are probably right. I doubt I will be riding them much but I just feel very privileged to have been given them and want to do them justice.

3. T4tomo

T4tomo Über Member

Maybe, but your not going to be doing 100 mile days on them, so with a shorter stem and saddle in most forward position on its rails, you should be able to get them reasonably comfortable to ride on. Lovely looking bikes.

Illaveago and Julia9054 like this.
  4. midlife

midlife Veteran

Sort of thing I dream of :smile:

Both in my size as well........

Shaun

Illaveago likes this.
  5. steve50

steve50 Disenchanted Member

Lovely looking bikes, enjoy your projects and I'm sure you will do them justice, many project pictures and progress reports will of course be required :okay::smile:

Illaveago likes this.
  6. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

What a cracking pair of bikes! You really have hit the jackpot there. Except that as others have said, they're both quite a lot too big for you. I'd say those would be right for a 5' 10" bloke, give or take. But that doesn't stop you doing them up, so...check them out, lubricate things that need it - chain and cables (run 3-in-1 down into the housing from each end, working the brakes/gear levers to encourage the oil in), and gears - again, lots of shifting while you oil at every pivot - possibly brakes, again at the pivots. And more than likely that's all you'll need to do, apart from replacing perished tyres and maybe brake blocks. Good old bikes like those don't tend to go wrong, as such. Shame they're the wrong size for you - they'll be a joy to ride once they're done.

Illaveago likes this.
  7. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

I think this as well, do them up by all means but then sell them and buy a bike that fits properly.You run the risk of getting back pains etc from overreaching and its not worth being in discomfort in my opinion.

8. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Given their history selling them would be bad form IMO.

9. As others have said you have done well and those cycles do look nice. You may need to replace the handlebar stem for shorter reach ones, you can play around with moving the saddle about to find out what position best suits you. As for buying new tyres you only need one set as you can always swap the wheels from cycle to cycle provided the gearing is similar. It is handy having a spare cycle, riding whichever cycle takes your fancy.
    Good luck in fettling.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  10. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Might they fit a cycling partner Julia?

11. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

Not really, its a better option than being in pain from an ill fitting bike.They are no good for her just to look at.

Cycleops likes this.
  12. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

It's true and a pair of beautiful bikes like that need to be ridden and enjoyed.

biggs682 likes this.
  13. What sort of bike are you used to? I was just asking as the first time I rode a bike with 7/8 tyres it felt like I was balancing on a razor blade, I was used to 1 1/8. Once I had ridden it for a while it felt normal.

14. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

well said

Illaveago likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

I do not intend to sell them. My husband can ride the slightly larger one and i will make the Elsworth fit me. I do not intend to ride great distances as i have other, more modern, bikes for that purpose.
    @Illaveago, I ride a Jamis road bike with 25 tyres and a Specialized Diverge as my transport and workhorse bike.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice