Panic buying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I have a lifetime's supply of cable ferrules (only because I was sent a whole box and not 10).

What a coincidence. I have a lifetime supply of cable end nipples, instead of the 10 I ordered

Anyone else ? Perhaps we can all open a store between us :laugh:

If you are old enough to remember (and if not, ask your granny), think back to the shortages of the late 60's and early 70's (before we joined the EEC/EU).

Sugar
medicines
Loo rolls
Road salt
Fuel
The latest "must have" Christmas toy (shows my age)
White goods
Electronics (and the price will increase)
Wine

..... are all ones that I remember as a kid, but there were many more.

My Grandfather bought a warehouse out in rural Hampshire back in the late 1930's to stock with hard to get items (mostly machine tool related, but it also included enough gin that they took 3 years to sell it off during WWII). My father eventually closed it down in 1976 after we had joined the EEC/EU as there would be no more shortages in his lifetime (which excluding coal in the mid 1980's so he was more or less correct)

I wonder what it would cost to set up the operation again .........
Can't help but say you must be posh Brains if a wine shortage was an issue in the 60s and 70s - most Brits hardly knew the stuff existed.

oh - I do remember a light shortage - diddy jackets

all the best

What a coincidence. I have a lifetime supply of cable end nipples, instead of the 10 I ordered

Anyone else ? Perhaps we can all open a store between us :laugh:

I turned down an interview this very day for a place making electrical cables. Now I feel a fool for missing the black marketing opportunities you've shown me.

ETA: I don't know what happened while editing this post, sorry about that.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There does not seem to be a shortage of bull sh*t..
:laugh:

Brains

Legendary Member
Can't help but say you must be posh Brains if a wine shortage was an issue in the 60s and 70s - most Brits hardly knew the stuff existed.

oh - I do remember a light shortage - diddy jackets

all the best

England has been importing vast quantities of wine since Roman times.
Tonnage tax, which all ships pay, is based in medieval wine casks landed in the England in the 800's AD ('tun'age tax).
(England rather than the UK, the Scots import Buckie from England! ^_^ and the Welsh drink Brains )

UK Wine Imports below.
Wine tailed off a bit in the 1930's and 40's, but was back to normal levels from the 50's to the 70's before it went through the roof in the 1980's and has been climbing ever since.

1571236786124.png

Globalti

Legendary Member
That wine chart is interesting. Have you got the same thing for Johnny Walker exports to Saudi Arabia? (Goes via a neutral intermediary country, obviously.)

Top Bottom