Panic buying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
And the aggressive campaign to sell Dubonet Red. And then the anti freeze scandal of the 80's.

Brains

Legendary Member
That wine chart is interesting. Have you got the same thing for Johnny Walker exports to Saudi Arabia? (Goes via a neutral intermediary country, obviously.)

I could not possibly comment !

I did however know the importation manager very well. Bahrain allegedly had one of the highest per capita consumptions of Johnny Walker globally, officially it was all imported for the US and UK Naval bases apparently.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have a lifetime's supply of cable ferrules (only because I was sent a whole box and not 10).

Haha!

Lovely Wife has 100 plastic nail polish sample discs (about 20 plastic fingernails arranged in a rigid disc) - she thought she was ordering 2 discs but ended up with 2 x packs of 50. :laugh:

Ordered on Amazon for £1 (including postage) for the two they turned up from China about 6 weeks after ordering.

Now she just needs to stock up on (even more) nail polish.:rolleyes:

She's got this Brexit malarky beaten hands (& nails) down.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Haha!

Lovely Wife has 100 plastic nail polish sample discs (about 20 plastic fingernails arranged in a rigid disc) - she thought she was ordering 2 discs but ended up with 2 x packs of 50. :laugh:

Ordered on Amazon for £1 (including postage) for the two they turned up from China about 6 weeks after ordering.

Now she just needs to stock up on (even more) nail polish.:rolleyes:

She's got this Brexit malarky beaten hands (& nails) down.
Not as bad as the parts guy at Bond St SAAB, he was ordering a rear bumper for a SAAB 93 Cabriolet when the bodyshop manager said we ought to have one in stock too so he changed the order. A week later 21 rear bumpers turned up on a truck...........From Sweden

England has been importing vast quantities of wine since Roman times.
Tonnage tax, which all ships pay, is based in medieval wine casks landed in the England in the 800's AD ('tun'age tax).
(England rather than the UK, the Scots import Buckie from England! ^_^ and the Welsh drink Brains )

UK Wine Imports below.
Wine tailed off a bit in the 1930's and 40's, but was back to normal levels from the 50's to the 70's before it went through the roof in the 1980's and has been climbing ever since.

View attachment 489297
At the risk of a thread divert brains, it depends what you call vast.
This "tailing off" you refer to in the 30s would have been invisible to most Brits.
And if you say it was then back to "normal" in the 50s and onwards this implies that you are measuring against an early 30s base.
Your figures match my idea that it didn't become a mass thing for Brits until the 80s.

On the Romans and their vastness, you do realise that not all roman folk lived in those nice white buildings we admire so much today?

all the best

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Feeling smug with several acres of fresh veg awaiting me on the farm...
(grid ref 24&£ 35%8)

Assuming that is, I'm allowed back into the country at all - not a done deal of course - given my eco-warrior agit-prop credentials.. :whistle:

Might jettison some stinky clothes, and smuggle the odd bottle of tinto back in the panniers instead ..

Guilty clinking at customs :rolleyes:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I could not possibly comment !

I did however know the importation manager very well. Bahrain allegedly had one of the highest per capita consumptions of Johnny Walker globally, officially it was all imported for the US and UK Naval bases apparently.

That's interesting. My information came from the Export Director while I sat next to him on a plane returning from the Middle East. I asked him where was his biggest export market and he laughed and replied: "You already know the answer!"

I'm sure the old chap has retired now so no harm done.

Top Bottom