Panier rack advice - 700c Road bike with discs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucegill

Regular
Hi there

I have a kinesis 4S Disc at the moment, possibly changing back to a Genesis CDF.

Having never fitted one before, do I need a disc specific pannier rack?

The reason I ask is that both bikes have the brake setup on the inside of the of the rear triangle, so I can't see anything that would interfere with the rack placement.

Am I missing something? is it only relavent to older disc models with the brake on the outside of the rear triangle?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Bruce

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I doubt you'd need disc specific. The Topeak MTX rack I have fitted to my Boardman CX Team is the 'normal' one. I bought both types from Halfords initially, but as you've noted, found no need for the disc specific version as the rear caliper is inside the rear triangle. The way the disc one differed gave clearance for a caliper mounted outside the triangle.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have a 26" MTB version on my 700c disc braked hybrid and this fits perfectly because the caliper is inside the rear triangle but the mounting eyes are high up because of the brakes. There should be no need for a disk specific version when the caliper is mounted inside the triangle.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Tubus fan here. Their 'ergo' range work well on disc set ups. Manly because the bosses/eyelets could be used in different places to the norm. And they also take into consideration mudguard placement. Clever lot Tubus.

A front rack on my tourer was the only one that needed some jiggery pokery.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have a seat post pannier rack. Often things are mentioned about the weight of the panniers. But nothing is ever mentioned about the size of the panniers.On seat post pannier racks, the frame itself is not very big. I have found that using Ortleib front roller panniers works far better than the Ortleib rear panniers They are smaller and have less volume and so you pack less weight. I have also found that if you use full size panniers. The frame flexes inwards, towards the bike and the panniers strike the wheels.

Top Bottom