Pannier Bag Recommendation......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zanelad

Guru
Hi, can anyone recommend a single pannier bag for a newbie commuter. I usually take the car to work a couple of times a week and will use it to take shirts and underwear. I keep trousers and shirts at work for when i commute on a motorbike during the warmer months.

I've got a rack, but would like a pannier bage for other stuff, and the shopping that Mrs Z usually wants me to pick up on the way home.

Anyone know of a decent, inexpensive bag for my first foray into shopping by bike.

I thank you, Z.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hello and welcome!
Ime, cheap panniers are a false economy.
Buy anything by Ortlieb if you like your stuff to stay dry.
Shop for second hand Orlieb panniers to save money, you can get really good bargains, especially on the less popular back ones.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Basil sports single seems good. Bought two for someone (I prefer saddlebags and/or double panniers) more than three years ago, and two sometimes get used in preference to double panniers. I think there's now a more designy version too.

Features to look for include
a good quick release mount that will still remain hooked on when broken.
Lightweight stiffener in back.
Tough material that does not flap around.
Rear pocket is useful but i use one without.

vickster

Legendary Member
Budget? Define inexpensive

I swear by the Topeak trunk bags with fold down panniers but you do need a compatible rack as it slides on

I’ve finally bitten the bullet on a pair of Ortlieb bikepacker plus but they did cost around £125 as I wanted good quality. There are cheaper from the brand but I didn’t want the ones that are like big sacks. These have outside pockets for accessing valuables.

That said @Reynard recently got a £20 jobbie from Decathlon https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/decathlon-btwin-500-pannier-bags-any-experience-with.247823/

The £20 Decathlon one I got isn't bad - it is what it is. It'll do nicely for what I need it to do (keep gubbins in for days out / longer rides / occasional shopping trip), but I'm not certain it would stand up terribly well to seriously hard use i.e. commuting. Nor would it stand up to a deluge. I couldn't justify spending more, plus I'm limited by the fact that I ride a junior bike, and a lot of luggage is simply too big or the wrong shape or both...

Decathlon does have a slightly more spendy one (£35) which looks like a much better bet for commuting.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-waterproof-rear-pannier-bike-bag-25l-id_8365213.html

And as @vickster says, might be worth considering a rack bag instead of a pannier. I've bought a Ridge rack bag from Halfords because it fits on my bike. Seems pretty well made and will take maps, a jacket and a packed lunch with room to spare. The topeak bags are really nice, but are too big for my bike, so can't comment on those.

CXRAndy

Guru
swear by the Topeak trunk bags with fold down panniers but you do need a compatible rack as it slides on

I have those too. Very convenient, I really like them
20190214_124112.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zanelad

Guru
Thanks to all who replied. I popped into Decathlon yesterday and picked up one of their messenger bags that clips to a rack. It's smaller than a conventional pannier, but I wont be taking that much stuff to the office. Packed lunch and a couple of tubes, pump and lock etc and still have room for the milk or whatever I'm told to bring home.

It looks sturdy with decent fittings. We'll see how we get on.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I bought some Biltema panniers in Denmark. Its a bit like Halfords. After 3 years of daily use, they are in excellent condition. About a quarter of the ortleib price.

straas

Matt
Whatever you get, make sure they're properly waterproof - they can be a bit useless otherwise.

I have carradice, similar material to the ortlieb, so never had an issue with damp.

Downsides to the carradice:

- They don't stand up very well when they're off the bike
- They're awkward to carry off the bike, some sort of a shoulder strap would help.

Top Bottom