Pannier bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
HI all,

I've been managing my commute with a backpack/hydration pack for the last year or so but I'm starting to get lower back pain and i've not got alot of room in there. I can just about fit a pair of shoes, clothes that have to be scrunched up (not ideal for a shirt and trousers), U-Lock and a couple of inner tubes. This doesn't leave me room for food or anything else. I've now got a pannier rack fitted to my bike so am looking at bags to go on it. I'm after one that will fit a pair of shoes, shirt, trousers, lunch, lock, tools, inner tubes and some room for shopping with good water proofing. I'm not sure what sort of capacity I'd be needing, I've been having a quick look but the pricing seems to vary massivley. I don't mind forking out for a decent pair as long as I know that its money well spent. Please give me some ideas.

Thanks in advance ;)

http://bikebins.com/

That's what I use on the Ridgeback, only drawback is they rattle so I've lined them with expanded foam sheet.

Ian 74

Just looked up what FTFY means. Is it a yoof thing?

doog

If you dont go for the expensive guaranteed waterproof panniers just stick some B & Q rubble sacks in some cheaper ones. They have done me for 3 tours in my not so waterproof Alturas (rear) and Deuters (front).

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
If you dont go for the expensive guaranteed waterproof panniers just stick some B & Q rubble sacks in some cheaper ones. They have done me for 3 tours in my not so waterproof Alturas (rear) and Deuters (front).

I'm with you on that. Ignore the arrogant Ortlieb salesman!(No relation).

139NI

Sometimes it pays to buy the best - you'll regret if you took short cuts here.

Consider the ORTLIEB range - look at the JEJAMESCYCLES.com site for the best prices.

I recently got the Front Roller pair for £66.99.

You will find the superior waterproofing will make the initial outlay worthwhile. Get anything cheaper and you will find yourself having to wrap plastic bags around items in order to ensure 100% waterproofness.

Royal Marines privately purchase Ortlieb canoe sacs to waterproof their bergens. Thats an endorsement!

I got Ortliebs because people who had them seemed to rate them well. I hate them. No pockets and crap carrying straps. Much easier to organise and retrieve things out of my old panniers which I've continued to use through preference..

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
as did I. In the end you'll go with ortliebs. Sooner rather than later if you use your pannier(s) every day.

Faffing with liner bags. No ta.

Evceryday I commute, I use my panniers. Had them about 3-4 years. Now being sold at £17. If they were nicked today I'd buy... £17 panniers.

Carrier bags isn't 'faff' AFAIK its a way of separating snap from clothes and the panniers aren't exactly porous.

At what point is 'later' ?

Msmancunia

I use a set of Karrimor urban - usually just the one, but both if I've got a lot of stuff. Six years old so far, waterproof and still going strong. Not sure if they've been discontinued now, but you might be able to pick up a set on ebay if you were so inclined.

Top Bottom