Pannier bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got Ortliebs because people who had them seemed to rate them well. I hate them. No pockets and crap carrying straps. Much easier to organise and retrieve things out of my old panniers which I've continued to use through preference..

We are still using our 30 year old Carradice pannier bags. I have another 20 year old set of Karrimors which must be used with liners, (they were supplied with liners). Ortleib were not around bag then.

As a long time tourist and tour leader people often ask me what panniers to use. Ortliebs are ubiquitous these days, but for me, as the poster above noted the absence of pockets is a real issue, so much so that Ortlieb are now producing an after market pocket attachment.

Me, I like to have tools and a first aid kit to hand. Also, the earlier Ortliebs do look like what they are, a by-product of the road haulage industry. But it has to be said, folk who like them really do like them, however I will only be replacing my 'Karra-dee-chees' when they conk out, and I don't anticipate that being any time soon.

Advice can be a difficult subject, in my experience folk who have bought things tend to say ' I have ..... it's the best' meaning because I have it.

One of my clients had Lidl/Aldi bags on my wide ride tour some years back St David's head to Lowestoft, we had a dreadful wet last day and I'm pleased to say her kit stood up to the weather.

botchjob

Veteran
I've got an Ortlieb that has worn through a the bottom (two places, caused by using it for a laptop, without a padded bag): Any ideas on the best patch kits for them?

After 7 years of daily commuting my Ortlieb Classic pannier is finally BEGGING to be retired. But just out of spite I have patched up its bottom with gaffer tape and a good smear of epoxy resin. If that doesn't keep the rain out then I'll have to put my hand in my pocket and buy another one. And it will definitely be another Ortlieb.

N.B. It's worth looking on ebay if you only want a single Ortlieb pannier. Plenty of folk buy the pair and then sell one on. There are a couple up for grabs at the moment. £40-45 for 7+ years use is pretty good value in my book.

If you don't need all of the space of panniers, but don't want to use a rucksack what about a rack bag? A bag that just sits on top of the rack (or even a beam rack, easily removable).

As it's positioned behind you you shouldn't be catching wind either :smile:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I got Ortliebs because people who had them seemed to rate them well. I hate them. No pockets and crap carrying straps. Much easier to organise and retrieve things out of my old panniers which I've continued to use through preference..

Agree. I got some too and returned them. They're cavernous and well made, but one large compartment is not ideal for my riding (commuting) as I often stop to get things in and out.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
After 7 years of daily commuting my Ortlieb Classic pannier is finally BEGGING to be retired. But just out of spite I have patched up its bottom with gaffer tape and a good smear of epoxy resin. If that doesn't keep the rain out then I'll have to put my hand in my pocket and buy another one. And it will definitely be another Ortlieb.

N.B. It's worth looking on ebay if you only want a single Ortlieb pannier. Plenty of folk buy the pair and then sell one on. There are a couple up for grabs at the moment. £40-45 for 7+ years use is pretty good value in my book.

I'd disappointed if I only got 7 years for the £100 or thereabouts that they cost.

Carradice Super C, which cost about the same, can commonly last 20 years of daily use and if you somehow managed to tear them, the're much easier to repair.

HI all,

I've been managing my commute with a backpack/hydration pack for the last year or so but I'm starting to get lower back pain and i've not got alot of room in there. I can just about fit a pair of shoes, clothes that have to be scrunched up (not ideal for a shirt and trousers), U-Lock and a couple of inner tubes. This doesn't leave me room for food or anything else. I've now got a pannier rack fitted to my bike so am looking at bags to go on it. I'm after one that will fit a pair of shoes, shirt, trousers, lunch, lock, tools, inner tubes and some room for shopping with good water proofing. I'm not sure what sort of capacity I'd be needing, I've been having a quick look but the pricing seems to vary massivley. I don't mind forking out for a decent pair as long as I know that its money well spent. Please give me some ideas.

Thanks in advance ;)

I use the Sunlite Pak Rak on my bike with both one of their easily removable top bags and pannier bags.

HPIM0862.jpg

The main compartments on either side have two zipper pulls that I use a small luggage style lock to secure, and they have two smaller pockets on the outside of the main compartments. From another set of pannier bags that I use on my Hardrock I have a waterproof covering that also fits these bags.

There are also a loop on each bag facing traffic for attaching extra taillights.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
I have bought these and I am massively pleased with them. Believe me I've had some crap. They are perfect for carrying clothes, shopping, tools etc.
The delrin clips on the back are a little fragile though.

http://www.ashcycles.com/site/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3394&language=en

http://www.ashcycles.com/site/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3393&language=en

They come with bright orange waterproof covers that you can put on when it rains.

They can be periodically treated with this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotchgard-Repellent-Outdoor-Fabric-Protector/dp/B003YLMJ0Q

Hope this helps.

davehann

i recently got some of those ortielb rollers. expensive BUT really light and other people have told me they should last a lifetime!

easy to belive that because they really are the dogs. being bright orange they are high vis. so great for the commute!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I've just got some of the EBC waterproof rear panniers (£40 for a pair - link), which are Vaude made and seem pretty solid.

I've already got some of their non-waterproof front panniers which the rain covers and plastic back seem to keep very waterproof without liner bags.

I ended up with Ortleib when EBC had what seemed to be a pricing error in their store - I even checked, but no, it was right - they were about half normal price

OK, they are in white and now look dirty from daily use

They are exactly like the £20 chinese "Canyon" things that I originally bought. Except that the Ortleibs aren't hanging off the plastic mounts by a thread. The Ortleibs' waterproof outer isn't shredded and degrading in the UV like a Tesco carrier bag. Despite the constant use, if I could be bothered to really scrub them they'd look like new.

Would I pay full price for them? Yes, now I know that they are good quality I would. They have already far outlasted the cheap knock-offs

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Not yet.

Buy cheap, buy at least twice.

Thats OK, wih the price comparison I can afford to buy at least 3 times :biggrin: and its not all the cash upfront.
I can also reassess my needs every time, so far I'd be happy buying the same again.

Not all my gears 'budget', but if it does the job you require of it then its 'quality' is right.

Theres plenty of cycle commuters for whom Ortliebs would double the value of their ride?

Crankarm

Guru
Buy cheap buy twice.

If you want the best pannier whether for expedition, touring, commuting or just shopping then it's Vaude Aquas. Ortlieb Roller Classics are just not as well made and have no side pockets and a silly carrying strap arrangement.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thats OK, wih the price comparison I can afford to buy at least 3 times :biggrin: and its not all the cash upfront.
I can also reassess my needs every time, so far I'd be happy buying the same again.

Not all my gears 'budget', but if it does the job you require of it then its 'quality' is right.

Theres plenty of cycle commuters for whom Ortliebs would double the value of their ride?

Fair enough you're right. But what I did was keep looking online over a period of about six months until I found a pair of Ortliebs going very cheaply. Then I pounced. Never pay rrp for anything!

Top Bottom