Pannier question rear only or front as well?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you provide the space, you'll fill it. Limit yourself to 2 rear panniers and a bar bag, and get disciplined with what you carry. That's certainly all you need for Lejog. In fact, peer closely at my avatar, taken somewhere on my Lejog, and you'll see just that. The bar bag was brilliant: maps, snacks, camera, compass, first aid kit and wallet, all easily to hand. That way, you shouldn't need access to your panniers during the days ride.
But were you camping?

Bodhbh

Guru
If you provide the space, you'll fill it. Limit yourself...and get disciplined with what you carry.

Is that really a good arguement? That your at war with yourself and can't control what you want or need? If you want it, take it, and you have to carry it...you'll soon find out if you want it that badly :laugh:. Although I agree it sounds about right for the trip the OP proposes.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I agree with most on here that rear and a bar bag is enough but why don't you try out both options and see what you think. There are bound to be differing opinions if you ask a group of people on the internet.
Thank you for your comment. I don't have a front rack or front panniers, but if the responses had been overwhelmingly in favour I might have tried to get some. It seems I should be ok with rear only which as my original plan.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Thank you for all your comments and advice. I will have a few rides fully loaded a couple of weeks before I go and see how I get on. I will try and be disciplined in what I take but know I will over do it.. I also like bird watching so I know I will pack my binoculars as well. I'm guessing a someone said I will soon find out what is essential and what is not.

2009psot-40019-1.JPG
If you want it, take it, and you have to carry it..

Yup - my philosophy on this is "if it goes up it goes" - the only thing i dont take on tour is a hairshirt

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
View attachment 352776

Yup - my philosophy on this is "if it goes up it goes" - the only thing i dont take on tour is a hairshirt

One of the reasons I gave up this tour was because quite simply, she was too bloody heavy.
20150615_081706.jpg
Thinking about what would actually use on my next attempt has halved that stuff.
A tour is supposed to be enjoyed. No fun dragging 100lbs of bike and crap you won't use over those 15% gradients.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I hate to go against the grain, but I think front panniers only sometimes work out pretty well. I have a sport tourer I will eventually outfit a la cyclo sportif, because it has short chainstays, and I wear a size 13 or 14 shoe in American sizing. So it will only be set up for front racks.

brucegill

Regular
One of the reasons I gave up this tour was because quite simply, she was too bloody heavy.
View attachment 352780
Thinking about what would actually use on my next attempt has halved that stuff.
A tour is supposed to be enjoyed. No fun dragging 100lbs of bike and crap you won't use over those 15% gradients.

Just looking at that makes me grumpy LOL. I've not done any cycle touring yet, but that reminds me of loading a motorbike up with waaaay to much crap and riding round the country for a few weeks. Needless to say, I also cut the trip short. It just made it unbearable, and that had a big 1300 motor and not my little legs powering it hahaha.

robing

Über Member
I wouldn't get too hung up on weight. So long as you have plenty of gears. The main thing is to get it evenly balanced and keep the centre of gravity low. Having said that my touring set up is fairly light - Dawes Super Galaxy about 14kg, fully loaded about 17kg of weight plus me about 75kg. Hauled it over the Pyrenees no problem.

e-rider

crappy member
I started lejog with about 10kg in two rear panniers - the bike was painfully heavy. On day 3 I 'shifted' 2 kg to make the panniers about 8kg (4kg each) - the difference was huge and the bike felt much quicker and easier on climbs.

My advice would be to carry less than 8kg of kit - how you spread the load is up to you!

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Nothing: if you can't carry it in one hand when you steer with the other, it isn't important enough to take with you.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I started lejog with about 10kg in two rear panniers - the bike was painfully heavy. On day 3 I 'shifted' 2 kg to make the panniers about 8kg (4kg each) - the difference was huge and the bike felt much quicker and easier on climbs.

My advice would be to carry less than 8kg of kit - how you spread the load is up to you!
I appreciate the advice thank you

Top Bottom