1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pannier question rear only or front as well?

Discussion in 'Touring and Expedition' started by Ice2911, 15 May 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ice2911

Ice2911 Well-Known Member

im doing LEJOG in 5 weeks. I was going to just have rear panniers and my bar bag. Riding tonight someone said it would be better to split the load and have some weight on the front. So my question is, is it better to have front and rear panniers or just rear? I have a small light weight tent 1.5kg for top of rack, lightish sleeping bag, small lap top, and minimum of clothes but will have waterproofs just in case. I'm not intending to cook anything and hoping more to stay B and B. Tent is just in case.

2. Vantage

Vantage Senior Member

Front and rear setups are mainly for big loads to distribute the weight evenly between the wheels.
    For all you're carrying, as long as it isn't going to be silly heavy, rear panniers and a bar bag will be plenty.

3. Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded. Staff Member

^^^ this

If by chance you do decide to use front planners as well ensure you ride out a couple of times fully loaded before you actually go to appreciate the difference it will make on your steering and general bike handling.

Ice2911, mjr and raleighnut like this.
  4. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Ice2911 likes this.
  5. psmiffy

psmiffy -

What you are proposing sounds dead right for you - horses for courses

robing and John the Monkey like this.
  6. Debade

Debade Well-Known Member

7. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

how about 1 front and 1 rear; on opposite sides obviously as you don't want it unbalanced.

....you're welcome

brucegill, Dirtyhanz and Ice2911 like this.
  8. I've only ridden up to 5 day hostelling/B&B trips carrying minimum kit (spare clothes, wet/cold weather gear, evening wear, sleep wear, toiletries, spares and tools) and think that rear pannier/bar bag combo works well.

Ice2911 likes this.
  9. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry Not so much grumpy as gruff

I've only found rear only a challenge when not actually riding the bike. Or on steep off-road NCN type stuff. The weight distribution is a challenge until you get used to it.

snorri and Ice2911 like this.
  10. robing

robing Well-Known Member

When I tour fully loaded ie all 4 panniers it's because I'm taking all the camping and cooking gear (mostly goes in the front panniers + tent on rear rack).
    If I'm not camping then rear panniers only.

Ice2911 likes this.
  11. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

I have the full set of 4 Ortliebs and have given up on the front. Just the empty front ones and the rack add 2kg before I have added the extra kit. I now just use an Appkit dry bag for the tent and can cope for 2 weeks in Spring/summer/autumn

Ice2911 likes this.
  12. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Well-Known Member

And on the Continent you see some riders with front panniers only. I've met a guy near Bristol light touring in the same way. Horses for courses.

Ice2911 likes this.
  13. psmiffy

psmiffy -

Eeeer now :boxing: - thats my line ^_^

robing, Ice2911 and Heltor Chasca like this.
  14. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

If you provide the space, you'll fill it. Limit yourself to 2 rear panniers and a bar bag, and get disciplined with what you carry. That's certainly all you need for Lejog. In fact, peer closely at my avatar, taken somewhere on my Lejog, and you'll see just that. The bar bag was brilliant: maps, snacks, camera, compass, first aid kit and wallet, all easily to hand. That way, you shouldn't need access to your panniers during the days ride.

Ice2911 and Heltor Chasca like this.
  15. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

I agree with most on here that rear and a bar bag is enough but why don't you try out both options and see what you think. There are bound to be differing opinions if you ask a group of people on the internet.

Ice2911 likes this.