Pannier question rear only or front as well?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
im doing LEJOG in 5 weeks. I was going to just have rear panniers and my bar bag. Riding tonight someone said it would be better to split the load and have some weight on the front. So my question is, is it better to have front and rear panniers or just rear? I have a small light weight tent 1.5kg for top of rack, lightish sleeping bag, small lap top, and minimum of clothes but will have waterproofs just in case. I'm not intending to cook anything and hoping more to stay B and B. Tent is just in case.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Front and rear setups are mainly for big loads to distribute the weight evenly between the wheels.
For all you're carrying, as long as it isn't going to be silly heavy, rear panniers and a bar bag will be plenty.

iandg

Legendary Member
I've only ridden up to 5 day hostelling/B&B trips carrying minimum kit (spare clothes, wet/cold weather gear, evening wear, sleep wear, toiletries, spares and tools) and think that rear pannier/bar bag combo works well.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've only found rear only a challenge when not actually riding the bike. Or on steep off-road NCN type stuff. The weight distribution is a challenge until you get used to it.

robing

Über Member
When I tour fully loaded ie all 4 panniers it's because I'm taking all the camping and cooking gear (mostly goes in the front panniers + tent on rear rack).
If I'm not camping then rear panniers only.

jay clock

Massive member
I have the full set of 4 Ortliebs and have given up on the front. Just the empty front ones and the rack add 2kg before I have added the extra kit. I now just use an Appkit dry bag for the tent and can cope for 2 weeks in Spring/summer/autumn

MikeG

Guru
If you provide the space, you'll fill it. Limit yourself to 2 rear panniers and a bar bag, and get disciplined with what you carry. That's certainly all you need for Lejog. In fact, peer closely at my avatar, taken somewhere on my Lejog, and you'll see just that. The bar bag was brilliant: maps, snacks, camera, compass, first aid kit and wallet, all easily to hand. That way, you shouldn't need access to your panniers during the days ride.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I agree with most on here that rear and a bar bag is enough but why don't you try out both options and see what you think. There are bound to be differing opinions if you ask a group of people on the internet.

Top Bottom