Pannier rack probs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deb13b

I'm not having any luck finding a rear rack to fit on my bike. Had to return the last one to wiggle. Just received the latest order from amazon, a pletscher, and it's not right either.
I don't want to have to drill my bike or add extra clips that will damage the paint. My OH said to just take the bike to a LBS and get them to find a rack that's suitable and then get them to fit it.
Only problem is, there's no LBS anywhere near I can get to. There's just......halfords. I've read some right horror stories on here, is this worth trying ?
And yes I'm very overly-protective of my bike lol

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Some detail of what the fit issues are might be a help :whistle:

The most adjustable I've used have been the Tubus Logo, which is rather pricey, or the far more affordable Madison Summit. Both have far better upper fittings than the sort of bendy bits of metal style and the Madison gives you a choice of 'feet' to adjust the fit and height at the bottom. I also like them as the panniers mount slightly lower on side bars leaving the top surface free for rackpack, or bungying stuff on.

corshamjim

My bike came fitted with a Pletscher - it fitted the bike okay, but was a pain to put panniers on because of their proprietary fitting system. I wouldn't recommend the Pletscher rack to anyone unless they really want to use the specific Pletscher luggage that goes with it.

What kind of bike is it you need to fit a rack to?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Mate has a Summit. I was well impressed by the fitting but as MacB says above, if you could detail why the racks you've tried don't fit it would make giving and getting advice a lot easier. So, some questions

Does you bike have eyelets on the rear dropouts? If yes does it have one or two on each side?
Does you bike have eyelets near the top of the seat stays (the tubes running from the wheel to under the seat)?
Does your bike have disc brakes?
Does you bike have any form of rear suspensoin?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Some detail of what the fit issues are might be a help :whistle:

The most adjustable I've used have been the Tubus Logo, which is rather pricey, or the far more affordable Madison Summit. Both have far better upper fittings than the sort of bendy bits of metal style and the Madison gives you a choice of 'feet' to adjust the fit and height at the bottom. I also like them as the panniers mount slightly lower on side bars leaving the top surface free for rackpack, or bungying stuff on.

What he said.

Seatpost rack thingies are also available like this

104377699.jpg

or this

262768692128.png

if you don't have pannier mounts already.

Pannier racks can be a real fiddle to put on though.. I have the Madison Summit too, and although it has plenty of mounting options.. it was still a fiddle. A very sturdy rack though.

OP
OP
Deb13b

Deb13b

Sorry guys, had very patchy internet access lately ! The pletscher athlete is the one I got, I have realised there is a part missing. The pic below shows the rack, the missing piece is the bit that fixes to the back of the bike.

[media]http://instagr.am/p/GzRof/[/media]

Took me ages to track this rack down, lots of sites showed as having it in stock but when asked they all said an approx wait-time of upto 7 weeks. :sad:
Finally got one off amazon but this piece is missing. Amazon have no more in stock and no idea of when they'll get anymore in. So I'm going to send it back and then I dunno what I'm gonna do ! I like this method of fastening to the back, not keen on p-clips or seat rack clamps.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sorry guys, had very patchy internet access lately ! The pletscher athlete is the one I got, I have realised there is a part missing. The pic below shows the rack, the missing piece is the bit that fixes to the back of the bike.

[media]http://instagr.am/p/GzRof/[/media]

Took me ages to track this rack down, lots of sites showed as having it in stock but when asked they all said an approx wait-time of upto 7 weeks. :sad:
Finally got one off amazon but this piece is missing. Amazon have no more in stock and no idea of when they'll get anymore in. So I'm going to send it back and then I dunno what I'm gonna do ! I like this method of fastening to the back, not keen on p-clips or seat rack clamps.

Why not try SJS cycles, if all you need is the bit of metal that connects the rack to the bike at the top then maybe a standard part will fit?

http://www.sjscycles...es-dept964_pg1/

will this be any good?

http://www.sjscycles...x-csr-prod1268/

And bang !! try this ;)

http://www.stuffco.co.uk/product.php?asin=B001MGQRAS&mid=A2YE3CF8IZNRWV

417gJiQgvSL._SL500_.jpg

chris-s

That's the same rack as I got for my bianchi which doesn't gave mounting points either. I've used rubber lined p-clips off eBay to attach it tho the seatpost fitting shown further up would be a neater option.

Chris

OP
OP
Deb13b

Deb13b

Well if I'm not fecking sick. It's still going to need holes drilling and extra mountings added to get it to fit. I haven't got anywhere I can take it to get it fitted. ready for giving up now like.

albion

Guru
I was in Halfords the other day.I was fascinated by their alloy quick release seatpost rack with traditional side plates for bags.Methinks it only allowed 10KG but I could certainly see a use for it.

Top Bottom