Pannier & racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
I'm thinking of getting a rack and pannier bag type system on my commuting bike to save my back!

I know nothing about them so wanted to ask which rack and bag is considered best mix of lightweight and affordable?

I ride a single speed langster it has the screw points in the frame for a rack, but as its single speed I don't want to add too much weight if possible.

My current rucksack is only 20 litres so I don't need massive amounts of storage. It would be handy however if I could take the pannier bag off and stick it over my shoulders and walk with it if needed too?

Any tips of suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tortec-ultralite-rear-rack

560g rack
Pannier wise, you can get some that convert to a backpack. Ortlieb I think do one as do Planet X
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BABANWCPB/banjo-brothers-waterproof-convertable-pannier---backpack

Or there are plenty of pannier options that come with a single shoulder strap

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I like Basil bags. Many have shoulder straps. Some online UK retailers sell them discounted. The simple clip system isn't as good as the ones that open and close on the likes of Ortlieb, but the bags are less than half the price and a wide range of styles. If the clips do ever break, they are a cheap spare part from Basil. Fastrider seem another good range, but even rarer in the UK than Basil.

Racks... Tubus and Axiom get good reviews, I think, but it's difficult to foul up a rack. Look for good fixings, side struts and a dog leg to reduce the ability of bags to twist into the wheel.

Julia9054

Guru
I like Basil bags. Many have shoulder straps. Some online UK retailers sell them discounted. The simple clip system isn't as good as the ones that open and close on the likes of Ortlieb, but the bags are less than half the price and a wide range of styles. If the clips do ever break, they are a cheap spare part from Basil. Fastrider seem another good range, but even rarer in the UK than Basil.

Racks... Tubus and Axiom get good reviews, I think, but it's difficult to foul up a rack. Look for good fixings, side struts and a dog leg to reduce the ability of bags to twist into the wheel.
+1 for Basil bags. What I like about them is that they work as an ordinary bag or briefcase as well so you can get off your bike and not look like you are carrying a pannier around.

Reactions: mjr

Julia9054

Guru
IMG_2532.JPG

My Altura top box is also good for smaller amounts of stuff. The side panniers zip away for when you don't need to carry bottles of wine!

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm a massive fan of the Topeak rack bags with the fold out panniers. Need a compatible rack, and not very light but very practical. Easily takes clothes, shoes, laptop, papers etc. And in the rack bag everything else including a large D lock. The bag just slides on

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I've been looking at pannier bags and racks recently, Tubus racks and Ortlieb bags are the ones to look at however quality does come at a price.
I did quite like this Tortec epic alloy rack at £25.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=162307996960&globalID=EBAY-GB

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm a massive fan of the Topeak rack bags with the fold out panniers. Need a compatible rack, and not very light but very practical. Easily takes clothes, shoes, laptop, papers etc. And in the rack bag everything else including a large D lock. The bag just slides on
Ditto for the Topeak stuff, it isn't cheap but is good quality and very easy to use.

Debade

Über Member
I use a Topeak handle bar bag that has served me very well for many years.

For touring, wife/me use Ortliebs and Tubus. They are amazingly good bags/racks. Hers' are yellow, mine black. So, I know they come in colors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tortec-ultralite-rear-rack

560g rack
Pannier wise, you can get some that convert to a backpack. Ortlieb I think do one as do Planet X
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BABANWCPB/banjo-brothers-waterproof-convertable-pannier---backpack

Or there are plenty of pannier options that come with a single shoulder strap

Thanks for all the tips... this tortec rack looks good. Might go with this as seems a lot cheaper than the others but has great reviews.

As for the bags their seems to be a lot to choose from. I'm going to have to search then internet some more and try figure out which one will work for me - some great suggestions above for me to get started with so thanks again for you help.

Maybe a bit of a daft question but could you ride with just one pannier bag? Or do you need both so the bike/weight is balanced?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Maybe a bit of a daft question but could you ride with just one pannier bag? Or do you need both so the bike/weight is balanced?

I usually use a single pannier and don't notice any balance problems.

Some purists curl a lip on the basis a single pannier doesn't look right, over the years I've had a couple of semi-serious remarks about that.

A good tip is to mount the single pannier on the right - drive - side.

It gives you a bit of extra perceived road width and presence from behind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom