Pannier & racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The best combo is probably a Tubus rack with Ortlieb small or large rolltop.

The virtues of this system include a strong, very lightweight rack with quality metalwork. No adjustable legs (does your frame change size?), Strong, stiff upper stays, rear lamp bracket. If you use mudguards, go for an open frame top for extra lashing points.
The bag is strong, waterproof and the mounting system is quick release, locking.

If you go downmarket you can still find these features.

Many riders use single panniers.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I do like my combination of panniers + rack i got from gasp halfords as the panniers can be unclipped easily and taken into work instead of leaving them on my bike, making it easy to lock it up .
I doubt anyone would nick them as my lights stay on the bike but saves faffing about having bags inside bags .

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Maybe a bit of a daft question but could you ride with just one pannier bag? Or do you need both so the bike/weight is balanced?

Ooooooh...

can.png

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A good tip is to mount the single pannier on the right - drive - side.

It gives you a bit of extra perceived road width and presence from behind.
And yet, I favour hanging a single on the left side, so it's away from any chain flick, more likely to land near the kerb if it falls and slightly easier to remove when standing next to the bike - I almost always stand on the non-drive side and park it with the chain nearest what I'm locking to. Maybe just habit.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nope! Pannier on the drive side. If the bike falls, all the gubbins will be protected.

And you can lean it on a wall without the bike getting scratched.

Because I said so.

Don't argue.
One on both side , i was once clipped on a roundabout and it was non drive side which i slid along the length of the car as it was wet , handlebars and pannier gave me a bit of wriggle room .

Tynan

Veteran
single on the right for me, for width and vis where it helps

and spend as much as you can on rack and pannier, i'm tight but it's worth it, that standard £30 rack is so ugly and common

Top Bottom