Panniers off the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I rode through Burnham on Sea, Weston Super Mare (really, that’s how it’s spelt) and Avonmouth yesterday. I padlocked myself to the bike in case either of us got nicked.

Another idea I had was the Abus Café locks. I use a 180cm combination one for short stops. Maybe one at each end of the bike through the wheels, panniers, frame etc?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I rode through Burnham on Sea, Weston Super Mare (really, that’s how it’s spelt)
It's really not - lowercase s on the super and hyphens between the words, please!

I always felt WsM is pretty low-risk except for the central station and the big supermarket opposite. As long as it was locked to something, a bike seemed pretty unlikely to get swiped. The drawback was that the townspeople are fairly private so no-one challenged an obvious thief with a power-saw taking a bike from by a supermarket entrance (actually a friend who had lost the key).

OP
OP
swansonj

swansonj

Guru

This could be your answer. Its called z lock and is like large zip tie with a steel core. There is a key to open them. You will find them on ebay and amazon. Its what I use.
https://www.hiplok.com/z-lok-zip-tie/
Minor thread resurrection to say: just back from the tour. I bought both your suggestions and used them both when leaving panniers on bikes while sightseeing or for lunch/beach stops. Of course, there's no way of knowing if they made any difference but I like them both. Thanks guys.

OP
OP
swansonj

swansonj

Guru
Last weekend I came accross the Hiplok Z loks which would be great too, but pricier. http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/locks/hiplok-z-lok

I have just bought the combo version as a café lock. Light and a bit bigger.
There's some logic in that. Despite being so thin and light, they still need cutters to cut them, which means they basically provide as much protection as a cable lock.

Personally though I like to lock my bike to something, so that if it is nicked, I can claim on the insurance.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Or not...

I found out many months after buying an old MTB in South West France, that it was hot. Gangs operating in the campsites and music festivals in the Gastes region. Probably as well as drunks who couldn’t be bothered to walk home from a night of big band craziness.
Sorry to hear of your trouble in Gastes.....l would say that holiday resort/areas probably attract more dodgy characters than you would find in "ordinary" rural areas no matter which country you are in. "caveat emptor" and all that .

Top Bottom